currencies-commodity etf's

Options
Recently seeing a nice run up in prices for gold/ silver etc, surely a frustrating time though for people as gains for Uk investors must be minimal due to the large swing in the strength of sterling versus the dollar. Gold possibly gonna retest the $1000 point again soon, last time it did sterling gold was around £690 i think, currently only about £602.
With part of the "commodity boom" theory being tied in with a collapse in the dollar, it must be assumed then that Uk investors will only see part of the potential. Of course i know the Uk economy is also in a mess, it seems a race between many battered currencies.
Maybe i have missed something obvious and people hedge or minimise their currency exposure.

Comments

• cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,063 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    dunker1 wrote: »
    Recently seeing a nice run up in prices for gold/ silver etc, surely a frustrating time though for people as gains for Uk investors must be minimal due to the large swing in the strength of sterling versus the dollar. Gold possibly gonna retest the $1000 point again soon, last time it did sterling gold was around £690 i think, currently only about £602.
    With part of the "commodity boom" theory being tied in with a collapse in the dollar, it must be assumed then that Uk investors will only see part of the potential. Of course i know the Uk economy is also in a mess, it seems a race between many battered currencies.
    Maybe i have missed something obvious and people hedge or minimise their currency exposure.
    I know people talk in terms of the demise of the USD, which I believe will happrn over time but... I don't think Sterling is in too good a shape either and whilst the USD/£ exchange rate will fluctuate is is likely to follow the USD downward in purchasing power.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Theres a £ silver etf thats gained 11% in a week & I think its still possible to make money on dollar funds, definitely with a spreadbet it is

Gold etf £ has moved 1% which is not enough to even break even after the spread
  • dunker1
    dunker1 Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    be interesting to see the direction of the 2 currencies for a while, anyones guess i suppose, making predictions on this can be the biggest of all the mug's games.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure