PLease advise...

Options
My Son in law has just phoned. He is assistant general manager of a bar/restaurant. Earning 19K, working 70 hours a week.

The boss has had him in the office today to say that he is not doing enough for the title, so he is now training to be assistant general manager on 14k.

If he doesnt accept, they will give him a disciplinary and sack him.

Is this allowed?

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    How long has he worked there?
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • Yorkshire-Lady_3
    Options
    2 years in November.
  • Roobarb73
    Roobarb73 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    Has he had warnings about his performance before?
  • Mudd14
    Mudd14 Posts: 856 Forumite
    Options
    They cannot just demote him and reduce pay like that at the flick of a switch!

If he is not performaing upto what they think he should be then they should exhaust the capability procedure, if no improvement is recognised after this then they can enter the discplinary procedure.

He cannot be sacked for not agreeing to vary his contract without correct consultation, if he is then he would have a fair case of unfair dismissal.

On another note has he opted out of the working time regulations as he is working over 48 hours per week?
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    70 hours a week? Is that his basic hours for £19k per annum?
    Or is it 70 hours one week and the next one off?

They cannot just suddenly cut his pay on this excuse.
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    70 hours a week on minimum wage = (I think) £5.73 * 52 * 70 = closer to £21k a year

for 14k a year I honestly think he would be better looking at supermarket work or similar. he may as well work less hours if he is going to get less money.

And no, they cannot just cut his pay. I would call ACAS. But I would also look for another job as they have been taking the mick for 2 years.
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • Leedslad_3
    Leedslad_3 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

What are your Son in Laws contracted hours of work as per his contract of employment?

In my experience of running bars this may be a case of the General Manager trying to cut his wages cost so that his profit and loss accounts look good and he gets his bonus.

My advice would be to try and speak to the General Manager and if that does not sucseed then escalate it to the Area Manager or if it is a national company to the HR team
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure