Custom made dress??

Options
Hi, Ive fallen in love with a wedding dress with a nice price tag of 5 and a half grand!!! this is way out of my price range and ive tried to forget it but everytime i see it in a high end magazine my heart skips a beat...sad i know! anyway, a friend suggested i get a similar style made by a dress maker. she said Landy make dresses but i cant find anything on the site. Does anyone have any advice about getting dresses made and what kind of prices we are talking? the dress i love is a corset body with a short full skirt (its a suzanne neville) thanks in advance

Comments

• xJayJayx
    xJayJayx Posts: 616 Forumite
    edited 28 May 2009 at 8:44PM
    Options
    you need to email them a pic and ask them if they can make it for you and how much it will cost then go from there!
  • zirithium
    zirithium Posts: 77 Forumite
    Options
    i think i must be blind...could you tell me where the link is to send an email?
  • mshelsbels
    mshelsbels Posts: 739 Forumite
    Options
    Try sending it to this lady - I'm having one copied from a pic too and Roselyn has been brilliant!

roselin@landybridal.com

Hels
    Women marry men hoping they will change, men marry women hoping they won't! Inevitably they will both be disappointed.
    Albert Einstein
    :smileyhea
  • sal-ad_daze
    sal-ad_daze Posts: 889 Forumite
    Options
    Just a word of caution though, Landy and Milly do make cheaper dresses but their corsets aren't to the standard of Suzanne Neville, Hollywood Dreams et al. That's part of the reason their dresses are so expensive so if the firm well made corset is an important part of the dress, it's very important you ask them questions about how this will be made.
    Just don't want you to be disappointed.
  • roxalana
    roxalana Posts: 631 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Show us a pic - we like drooling...
  • xJayJayx
    xJayJayx Posts: 616 Forumite
    Options
    i agree with OP, however you can't expect too much for a £200 dress, if you can afford it and the boning isn't strong enough (if you choose landy or milly that is) you can always pay a dressmaker to add the extra boning for more support which some people have done. HTH
  • madfrenchgirl
    madfrenchgirl Posts: 1,729 Forumite
    Options
    Or you could just ask them to put in more bones: I went to try a Sweetsend dress in Reading (they are the Sweetsend Factory Shop on ebay) and their corset was excellent: I am big boobed and felt absolutely at ease in a strapless dress!
    "Don't cry, Don't Raise your Eye
    It's only teenage wasteland"
    The Who - Baba O'Riley
    Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
    RIP John Entwistle
  • Ruthie5
    Ruthie5 Posts: 203 Forumite
    Options
    When I was dress shopping, I wondered about using these guys:

http://www.blushnblooms.co.uk/85.html

I didn't contact them in the end, so couldn't recommend as such, but their readymade dresses were reasonable, and they said they would give you a quote if you sent them a JPG picture.

Might be worth thinking about if you would prefer to deal with someone in the UK.
  • lindaatno9
    lindaatno9 Posts: 2,092 Forumite
    edited 29 May 2009 at 11:21AM
    Options
    xJayJayx wrote: »
    you can always pay a dressmaker to add the extra boning for more support

Just wanted to highlight this small bit.
    Not an easy task to do as the corset can be constructed from as few as 5 pieces. The boning it attached to an inner section. So, imagine a sandwhich with the middle one having "the filling" As a dressmaker, if someone asked me to take a corset apart to add extra boning, I wouldn't undertake the job because it's not cost effective to me or can be alot of money to the client. My opinion as I know you said some have done it.
    The professional designers will use couture skills in their construction and along with the fabrics is why the dresses are so expensive. Their dresses are more "works of art" than anything else.
    However, many designers are using demi-couture to try and get their dresses more affordable. But, even knocking 40% off the price tag still amkes them out of reach for the likes of "normal people" lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure