interview stage one questions - surely not?

Options
2»

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hullight wrote: »
    I know these questions do get asked but I thought they are usually on application forms and that section is taken off when the applicant is being considered so they are not discriminated against?

Smaller companies won't have any application forms, or the extra sheet that you see with big companies.

It was rude of the man to drag somebody in just for those questions. Rude and peculiar. Maybe the real interviewer wasn 't available and he was dragged in just to "do something" in the interim.

I was dragged up for 2 interviews at one firm, then a 3rd. It was a 100 mile round trip each time (costing me time/money) - and it turned out the 3rd was JUST to offer me the job.... and the MD who set that appointment to make the offer never turned up. So I was dragged ALL that way just to be offered the job - and (to add insult to injury) at 10% less than the advertised rate.
  • sammiboo
    sammiboo Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Options
    When i was contacted and invited for an interview i was told it would be at 7.30pm. They then said do you want the address, I said yes please. They said look on the website its at this address.....

The website was a little confusing as they have the main place is in wolverhampton....

I thn asked who would the interview be with, they gave me a name and that matched up with who did the interview. On the website it turned out to be the MD. They have HR staff which are listed on the website, so i am suprised that he conducted it in that way.

Also to ask about tribuneral i thought was a bit odd. Which just added to my thoughts people would be getting crosses and ticks next to each question.

I wasnt told about the job just the hours and would the hours suit me.

It was all a bit strange. I would have liked to have been told about the job, afterall its not just them interviewing me, its me interviewing them to see if I want to work for them.

Like i said if the interview was conducted over an hour or so and these questions were dropped in then it wouldnt have been so obvious but they were asked in quick sucession and he just wanted me to answer them quickly so he could move onto the next person.

It was a shame becuase he had no idea about my skills etc. Just merited from those questions.
    March 2006 £15,200+ in debt April £843.64 in debt - Debt Free date Sept 2009
    Egg Credit Card - £843.64 5.7%
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,944 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sammiboo wrote: »
    When i was contacted and invited for an interview i was told it would be at 7.30pm. They then said do you want the address, I said yes please. They said look on the website its at this address.....

The website was a little confusing as they have the main place is in wolverhampton....

I thn asked who would the interview be with, they gave me a name and that matched up with who did the interview. On the website it turned out to be the MD. They have HR staff which are listed on the website, so i am suprised that he conducted it in that way.

Also to ask about tribuneral i thought was a bit odd. Which just added to my thoughts people would be getting crosses and ticks next to each question.

I wasnt told about the job just the hours and would the hours suit me.

It was all a bit strange. I would have liked to have been told about the job, afterall its not just them interviewing me, its me interviewing them to see if I want to work for them.

Like i said if the interview was conducted over an hour or so and these questions were dropped in then it wouldnt have been so obvious but they were asked in quick sucession and he just wanted me to answer them quickly so he could move onto the next person.

It was a shame becuase he had no idea about my skills etc. Just merited from those questions.

You are completely right. And I would also word the complaint in this light.
  • TEDDYRUKSPIN
    TEDDYRUKSPIN Posts: 1,528 Forumite
    Options
    sammiboo wrote: »
    Earlier this week I had an interview with a large company and was "interviewed" by the managing director.

I was quite taken back with the line of questions that were given.
    • what is you home situation - are you married? Children?
    • Do you have any disabilities?
    • Are you healthy
    • How far do you live from here
    • How much are you expecting to be paid
    • How long have you been doing admin for?
    I was there for less than 10 minutes, he said I would be told if i was needed for the second interview.

To me those questions just sounded like he had a yes and no pile. If I fell down on any of those questions then I wasnt eligable for a second interview.

There was no in depth discussion on anything, so if i had any disability, had children etc I would be on the no pile.

That line of questioning was really obvious what he was doing and they have HR staff so I am amazed he actually asked those questions :rolleyes:

This job was advertised on the job centre website, so i am unsure whether to complain to them. Its really unfair to judge people with those questions.

Cowboy interview. Something I always sense when they have already chosen the ideal candidate. They are just wasting your time.

what is you home situation - are you married? Children?

You can no longer ask this in an interview. This must be via application form only. They have already carried out illegal method and can be sued.
    Do you have any disabilities?

Cannot ask this either. This must be via an application form only. Illegal.
    Are you healthy
    Taking the big p.
    How far do you live from here
    Taking the big p too.
    How much are you expecting to be paid
    Never answer this. Always states negotiable.
    How long have you been doing admin for?
    Does'nt he read the cv?
    Motto: 'If you don't ask, you don't get!!'

Remember to say thank you to people who help you out!

Also, thank you to people who help me out.
  • BlameTheGame
    BlameTheGame Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    Whats the name of the company?

Some of these idiots should be named and shamed. All they are doing is costing people time and money.
  • sammiboo
    sammiboo Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Options
    well i thought how far do you live was a bit odd. I told him where I lived and he didnt have a clue where it was (it was only 15 mins away LOL)

I wonder if they want someone close to them incase they get an adminstrative emergency and someone need someone quick sharp :p

just to make it clear though, I havent got kids, disabilities etc. So I dont think I was discriminated against in that way, I was just very uncomforable with the questions and feel sorry for anyone who fell down on those.

Can they ask about tribunerals? Surely if someone has been mistreated by an employer its nothing to do with them. But they will just see anyone who has as "trouble"
    March 2006 £15,200+ in debt April £843.64 in debt - Debt Free date Sept 2009
    Egg Credit Card - £843.64 5.7%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport