Jobseeking and Despair

Options
I am trying to find or think or the word that the describes this feeling

Quick bio first

I am 38, trained bookeeper, tax advisor, fully skilled in officy things. I also have worked in all areas of Hospitality and Catering.

I am doing all that forums, such as these, suggest. I do 2days a week volunteering, regularly attend the Joke Shop,oops Job Centre Plus etc.

Yes I know we are all in the same boat what with this recession etc but I am at the stage where all my positivity is running out. What is more frightening is that I cannot foresee myself getting paid employment before I am 40. That is really frightening because my motivation levels are running on empty at the mo. In essence I am sure that there are alot of people in a similiar situation. I think it is getting to the point where the government actually get involved in the job market and force, or sweeten employers to create vacancies

Who else is in a similiar boat to me?

Comments

• Widelats
    Widelats Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Options
    It does look bleak, i doubt it will get better, i am moving abroad i have said it i mean it i plan it for next year. UK has gone very sour.
    Owed out = lots. :cool:
  • jessbob
    jessbob Posts: 949 Forumite
    Options
    I have worked in property law for all of my working life. I was made redundant some 3 months ago, and obviously I am not going to find work in the field I am experienced and qualified in. It is a nightmare. Job centre are not interested, and the agencies are just sending me around in circles.

Problem is, can't even convince people that my skills are transferable to enable me to obtain work in a different field.

It is a joke
  • roysterdoyster
    roysterdoyster Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 28 May 2009 at 1:47PM
    Options
    I think that if it wasn't for having dependents I would save what JSA I could and hitchhike across Europe. I have done plenty of apple picking labouring etc.

It's just a shame that talented/skilled people, such as myself and others on this forum, are not being utilised and are going to seed as it were.
  • onlyforboards_2
    onlyforboards_2 Posts: 401 Forumite
    edited 28 May 2009 at 7:54PM
    Options

It's just a shame that talented/skilled people, such as myself and others on this forum, are not being utilised and are going to seed as it were.

In my experience it has always been that way for some parts of the country.

My advice, take anything. Most employers want someone who can make do not someone who stands on principle.

As a postgraduate I have never faced snobbery at having non career jobs on my CV as I make sure it is interpreted as willingness to adapt.

If your morale is hitting low and there is absolutely nothing in your area, volunteer. OP there are so many voluntary organisations that are crying out for skills like yours. It will give you a lift and will more than likely lead you in the direction of paid employment.

Edit:
    Sorry op I see you already do volunteer.
    Are you volunteering where it matters for you? Sounds silly I know but some organisations are more valuable when looking for work than others. Are you doing office work voluntarily? Office work for organisations such as the PDSA or the Samaritans would be brilliant for someone with your skills and they would transfer very easily into public sector jobs.

Get some business cards printed up on the cheap and look up local private businesses in the yellow pages and give them your card, like someone said small businesses are often desperate for small scale accountants.
    Good luck!
  • Pound
    Pound Posts: 2,784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Widelats wrote: »
    It does look bleak, i doubt it will get better, i am moving abroad i have said it i mean it i plan it for next year. UK has gone very sour.

What country are you moving to that isn't affected by the recession?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My advice would be to try to hook up with some local small business network groups, attend as many free events as possible and put the word about that I was a self-employed book-keeper and see if there were any takers. It wouldn't take many clients before you were feeling useful again - and you'd be surprised how many small business people simply don't know what they're doing and wish they had a book-keeper, except they won't advertise for one because they're not sure what to ask for ... I bet 1 in 20 would probably love to run into you at some grim cheese/wine evening.

Good luck!
  • Dundunbanza
    Dundunbanza Posts: 163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How about posting your book keeping skills on Gumtree?

During these difficult times the one thing you have to do is keep positive I know it is very very hard and frustrating but eventually things will get better.
    Earning Swagbucks since May 2012
    Dooyoo'er since March 2013
  • Widelats
    Options
    Pound wrote: »
    What country are you moving to that isn't affected by the recession?

I'm moving to Australia mate!! It is just feeling the recession now but nowhere near the levels of the rest of the world. They have a population about the size of the Netherlands but the country land is massive, plenty of Jobs for land services, also thinking or Dubai it is where all the construction is, they are not affected much either by recession. Didn't you watch the programme on TV about who isn't affected by this recession? Aussies and Dubai are still doing very well they said. :D

Its worth a try i can't see myself getting employment here for many years in a job i like.
  • Widelats
    Options
    How about posting your book keeping skills on Gumtree?

During these difficult times the one thing you have to do is keep positive I know it is very very hard and frustrating but eventually things will get better.

What accountancy company reads Gumtree? I think youd be better off posting it on Mysapce or Facebook.
  • chivers1977
    chivers1977 Posts: 1,499 Forumite
    Options
    Widelats wrote: »
    I'm moving to Australia mate!! It is just feeling the recession now but nowhere near the levels of the rest of the world. They have a population about the size of the Netherlands but the country land is massive, plenty of Jobs for land services, also thinking or Dubai it is where all the construction is, they are not affected much either by recession. Didn't you watch the programme on TV about who isn't affected by this recession? Aussies and Dubai are still doing very well they said. :D

Its worth a try i can't see myself getting employment here for many years in a job i like.

Please google dubai redundancies............our friends have had to move back as Dubai has been so badly hit by the recession............
    There are times when parenthood seems nothing but feeding the mouth that bites you Peter De Vries
    Debt free by 40 (27/11/2016)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport