Secondment Wage Rise?

Options
Hi all,

My partner has gone on an internal secondment to a higher paid position, which she has the necessary qualifications and experience for, however the company have no said that they are going to keep her on her old salary. Is this legal? Should she not be paid at the rate of the role she is working in?

If this is the case is there any legal info i can copy and paste to send to her to show to her manager?

Many thanks

Comments

• -BA-
    -BA- Posts: 377 Forumite
    Options
    In any role where acting up is required and their are other people on the same salary doing the role, I am pretty sure they are required to pay the going rate for that role. I would suggest she challenges this issue with HR.
  • LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    Its entirely between the employer and employee with no statute existing to the contrary except if its for reasons of discrimination.

Your partner needs to enquire why not but if they stand firm he will need to choose to accept it or forego the secondment,
  • SomeBozo
    SomeBozo Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Options
    When you go on secondment, its exactly that. Its not a new job or promotion, you still work for the original employer (retaining your existing t&cs including salary, line manager erc).

If either party want to change the agreement (such as pay you a higher salary, reduce working hours, change base etc) this has be agreed in advance by both parties.

Bozo
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    If it is a secondment then there may not be any increase. If it is an "acting-up" role then there may be an honorarium (payment in recognition of increased responsibility & workload) for this.

Your partner needs to check out if any system for paying an honorarium exists within the company - HR or Payroll should be able to advise on this.

Then if so, I suggest speaking to the line manager about whether this would be available.
  • Tozer
    Tozer Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    Options
    SomeBozo wrote: »
    When you go on secondment, its exactly that. Its not a new job or promotion, you still work for the original employer (retaining your existing t&cs including salary, line manager erc).

If either party want to change the agreement (such as pay you a higher salary, reduce working hours, change base etc) this has be agreed in advance by both parties.

Bozo

Absolutely agree.

Providing there is no discrimination issues here, nothing can be done.
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi paulallen.

These sorts of things are usually negotiated prior to starting the secondment.

What I have found in practice is this...

If the person's secondment is offered and it will hugely benefit them in terms of experience or promotion opportunities, then the wage will stay the same as the additional work will benefit them over time. Usually, if they do the job well, they are in a great position to get that job, or others at that level, once they become available.

If the secondment is at the instigation of the company, for example asking someone to do a job whilst someone is on maternity for example, and that someone already has the skills or experience and doesn't NEED the additional benefits that the secondment offers [as a favour to the company for example], then they are usually paid the going rate for the duration.
  • poppy_f1
    poppy_f1 Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    my employer pays 10% of existing salary as a secondment payment and its either paid with wages or as a lump sum at the end
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure