sorry another question

Options
While I'm here may aswell ask.....
I am contracted to 16 hours thurs fri and sat nights. For past 2 years I have also been working Monday Wednesday and Friday days making my hours on average 29 a week.
In january my manager cut my Friday day due to not needing me. But now they are also taking Wednesday off me too this will start in mid july. The reason given is they have been asked to cut staffing costs but only my hours have been cut. It also just happens to start when my maternity pay is calculated.
Is there much I can do?

Comments

• mrsormrod
    mrsormrod Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone know?
  • Mudd14
    Mudd14 Posts: 856 Forumite
    Options
    You are contracted 16 hpours, is there anything in your contract that specifies they can chnage this? If not they may be in breach of contract by changing a fundmental part which needs acceptance by both the employee and employer
  • mrsormrod
    Options
    Yes but I'm still working 16 hours. My q was is there anything I can do when I've been working between 25 and 29 hours for the past 2 years and then they drop them again?
  • Roobarb73
    Roobarb73 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    Are they cutting anyone else's hours, or is it just you?

If it is just you and it is conveniently done just at your SMP calculation point, then you could have reason to be aggrieved about it.
  • mrsormrod
    Options
    I studied the rota today and just mine have been cut.
  • Roobarb73
    Roobarb73 Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    Hmm. Sounds like it could be a bit ropey and potentially could amount to discrimination esp as it comes at the point where your SMP is being calculated and you are the only one affected, and you just happen to be pg.

Will you still be earning above the SMP lower earnings limit so will at least get something from them or will it mean you are no longer entitled to SMP?

I think it may be worth speaking to someone like the Commission for Equality and Human Rights - the old Equal Opportunities Commission were dead helpful and dead knowledgeable when I had a pregnancy related sex discrimination claim against a former employer.
  • mrsormrod
    Options
    It makes my average wage less than 123 smp that I would of got so instead would only get 90% of my average wage instead.
    Which is really upsetting as on my last pregnancy my grandad died during my calculation weeks and because of my time off it made my mat pay 77 a week and had to go back early cause I just couldn't live off that. Really don't want a similar thing happening.
    I'm not sure if you have read my other post "advice on discrimination" do you think the 2 could be linked?
  • Mudd14
    Options
    Whens your EDD just out of curiosity?

When something happens for long enough it forms part of your contract by being an implied contract. I would put in writing that you are not accepting the reduction in hours but will work hours required (16 min) until the issue is resolved in form of the grievance procedure. Just so they cannot turn around and say as you did not opose the change you accepted it.
  • mrsormrod
    Options
    I'm due 6th december
    I'm not sure how I go about the grievance procedure.
    The business changed companies in november last yearand we used to have a copy of the grievance procedure on the staff room wall now we don't. Tried looking for it today but with no luck
  • Mudd14
    Options
    There are statutory grievances in place, www.acas.org.uk would be a good place to start. You basically just need to write a letter stating you wish to raise a formal grievance and what the issues are, they must then meet with you to discuss this in 28 days.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure