CARS debt collection agency

Options
Hi all,

had a search and not been able to find anything, so a new thread it is.

We recieved a letter from CARS a few weeks back asking for £50something for a debt to M&S who were my wife's previous car insurers, everything ended amicably with M&S and we recieved a cirtificate of no claims as requested, this was only a couple of months ago.

we have recieved no indication from M&S that there were any sums outstanding, until the letter from CARS

There letter stated that they had been trying to contact us by phone, (no calls recieved and no messages on answerphone) and e-mail (no e-mails, even added to safe list and checked filters)

I spoke to them and stated that until i heard otherwise from M&S there was no plans to pay (if we do owe then I will pay, not trying to get out of it) still awaiting information from M&S.

anyway recieved a second letter today, saying that due to trying to contact us by phone (again nothing) and e-mail (nadda) they were going to send a visitor to our house to discuss why we were not paying them!!

my wife is a nervous wreck at the best of times, and I cannot be at home when they visit, as they have stated in the next 10 days.

anyone had a similar letter or dealings with CARS,

Thanks for reading

Comments

• timbim_2
    timbim_2 Posts: 1,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Probably worth putting in a CCA request. If they don't respond within 14 days with a copy of the agreement, then they can't pursue the debt until they do. Remember to send it recorded delivery to prove that they got it.
    Ubuntu is an ancient African word, meaning: 'I can't configure Debian'.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    I would send the 'prove it' letter. It may be that they have go the wrong person. At the same time you can include a paragraph on telling them not to visit you at your address.
    I'll see if I can find the right templates.......
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • jt2k6
    jt2k6 Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    timbim wrote: »
    Probably worth putting in a CCA request. If they don't respond within 14 days with a copy of the agreement, then they can't pursue the debt until they do. Remember to send it recorded delivery to prove that they got it.

I was thinking something along those lines,

I know something abit dodgy is going on (or possibly just normal DCA business, the first woman i spoke to said that the details on the account show that it was down to cancelation fee's, the second guy said that they don't have anything on my account other than an outstanding amount! someone is fibbing!
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    This is the national debtline's standard prove it letter. Obviously substitute M&S in paragraph 2.

Quote:
    1 High Street,
    Newtown,
    Kent
    R21 4RH
    October 9, 2007

The Loan Company
    Company House,
    Church Street,
    Newtown,
    Kent,
    R1 7HG

Dear Sir/Madam

Ref: xxxxxxxxxxx

You have contacted us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by ourselves.

We would point out that we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to The Loan Company.

We are familiar with the ‘Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance’ which states that it is unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

We would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore, ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

We would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above accounts unless you can provide evidence as to our liability for the debt in question.

We await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise we will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

We look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Mrs A N Other
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    dont worry about the visit. no one will ever come to your house, its a standard letter that will be sent out repeatedly until the debt is paid, its aimed at those who never contact the company to discuss the issue. good luck and dont be pressured into paying anyting that is not yours !
  • jt2k6
    Options
    dont worry about the visit. no one will ever come to your house, its a standard letter that will be sent out repeatedly until the debt is paid, its aimed at those who never contact the company to discuss the issue. good luck and dont be pressured into paying anyting that is not yours !

Cheers Jim,

i'll make sure the wife reads this, she is the worried one

Thanks
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you are doing everything right!
  • jt2k6
    Options
    Unfortinatly I have had lots of practice :rotfl: