Your personalised gift displayed free on the net.

Options
Try https://www.MoonMarsandStars.Com - you can name a star as a "novelty gift", but I guess its too late for this Christmas (nice Valentines gift though).

You can see the details and new star name registered on their website for free....!

I guess its a little cheesy, but its a lovely novelty gift for under £15...

Comments

• -TangleFoot-
    Options
    Quite a few companies do this, which unfortunately means 'your' chosen star could have several other names. It makes a nice novelty gift, but by no means is it official - if it were, every astronomer and stellar cartographer in the world would have to update their records every few days! ;)

Firebox are selling similar certificates, including plots of Venus.
    They are a bit more expensive though...
  • jockettuk
    jockettuk Posts: 5,809 Forumite
    Options
    when my mum died we told my daughter she was the brightest star in the sky and it has worked fine ,, but now we have had to have a star for the dog and two hampsters as well lol
    Those we love don't go away,They walk beside us every day,Unseen, unheard, but always near,
    Still loved, still missed and very dear
    Our thoughts are ever with you,Though you have passed away.And those who loved you dearly,
    Are thinking of you today.
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is the "Buying a Star" FAQ (Frequently Asked Question list) from the sci.astro.amateur newsgroup.

(1) Can I Buy or Name a Star?

Question:
    Can I buy a star, or have one named?

Answer:
    No.

Question:
    But I heard there were organizations that would do this for you. Isn't that true?

Answer:
    There are organizations that will take your money and send you a certificate, but those documents have no validity and are not recognized by anyone else. There are at least a half-dozen companies or individuals who claim the ability to name stars. However, no private company has ever been granted the authority to name stars by any government, professional astronomical organization, or international treaty.

(6) Come on! Why can't we do this, just for fun?

Question:
    Come on! Why can't we do this, just for fun?

Answer:
    It's your money. Just understand that you will be paying for a "novelty" item that has no validity within the scientific community.

Still, if it is "just for fun", you might as well save money and print out your own certificate. It will be just as valid. All you need is a printer and some nice paper.

http://www.enzerink.net/peter/astronomy/starfaq/#one
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Still, if it is "just for fun", you might as well save money and print out your own certificate. It will be just as valid. All you need is a printer and some nice paper.

... or pay 90 quid at Argos :o
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=2501&productId=106578&clickfrom=image
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure