PhD Stipend + Tax Question...

Options
Hi,

I'm a PhD student and my annual stipend amounts to approximately 15k, the actual funding I should recieve is about 18k, but my supervisor has held back the extra money as a bonus - which I am now due to recieve.

I have also been doing some extra teaching work which will amount to around 1k by the end of this tax year.

Someone told me that if I earn over 18k total, I'll have to pay tax on the extra. Regardless of the fact that the 18k is a student stipend and that the 1k comes within the £6,475 personal allowance.

Would anyone know if this is true? I would be very grateful if someone could shed some light on this for me...

Thank you very much!

Comments

• surfcat
    surfcat Posts: 734 Forumite
    Options
    mjl01 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm a PhD student and my annual stipend amounts to approximately 15k, the actual funding I should recieve is about 18k, but my supervisor has held back the extra money as a bonus - which I am now due to recieve.

I have also been doing some extra teaching work which will amount to around 1k by the end of this tax year.

Someone told me that if I earn over 18k total, I'll have to pay tax on the extra. Regardless of the fact that the 18k is a student stipend and that the 1k comes within the £6,475 personal allowance.

Would anyone know if this is true? I would be very grateful if someone could shed some light on this for me...

Thank you very much!

I'm not sure where the 18K figure comes from. As far as I know the phd stipend is completely tax free. The extra teaching / lab work etc only incurs tax if over the allowance, as you say.
  • jamtart6
    jamtart6 Posts: 8,302 Forumite
    Options
    Your stipend should be tax free and as surfcat says only pay tax on stuff over the £6475 limit for extra teaching.

Wish I had been paid that much!!

:ABeing Thrifty Gifty again this year:A

• tamlem
    tamlem Posts: 483 Forumite
    Options
    I'm currently receive a grant (esrc) for my phd its around £12000 pa and is tax free. I also teach but consider this as my only taxable income so wont be paying tax on the couple of thousand i earn from that.

This is the same for many of my colleagues.
  • louise56489
    louise56489 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Stipend you are getting is tax free. But you mentioned you are doing teaching work, for that money you are earning you should pay for the fax. I am also in the same situation. i got stipend for the Phd as well as i was carry out teaching for undergraduate. i paid tax for the teaching work
  • surfcat
    surfcat Posts: 734 Forumite
    Options
    Stipend you are getting is tax free. But you mentioned you are doing teaching work, for that money you are earning you should pay for the fax. I am also in the same situation. i got stipend for the Phd as well as i was carry out teaching for undergraduate. i paid tax for the teaching work

You must be doing an awful lot of teaching work in addition to you phd studies to be paying tax! Remember, you can earn up to £6400 approx before taxation! The phd stipend is completely seperate from this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure