reclaiming income tax

Options
Hey guys,

Iv just sent off a claim for the last tax year as I know I overpaid, I was on emergency at the end of the year.

However for the prior 4 years I have been a student... working here and there, each summer too. Now whats the income tax stand on this. I know I paid quite a bit. But im sure I earned under the threshold each year. However I also have very broken records of what I paid...

1) Will the tax man know what I earnt and what I paid? if I have little details..

2) Which tax office should I write to, since I worked all over the country?

Many thanks for any help!

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    Before they can deal with last year's claim HMRC will need to clear previous years. They will probably write to you to ask you to fill in all the gaps in your employment record so that they can make the refunds for those years as well.
    You always deal with the tax office which deals with your present or most recent employer.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
  • daleuk_3
    daleuk_3 Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    ok, so do you reckon i should not send the letter and try and include more details..?

In the past I have had those letters asking for employment details etc.. but iv not really kept good records! doh!

So they wont even sort out last years until they know the full picture of the years before?
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, they have to settle previous years before they can deal with last year. It might be worth sending a letter listing all your employments, periods of claim and periods of studenthood during the past few years. Always answer letters from the tax office - they dont send out forms for the sake of it!
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport