What are the chances of getting a job in Jan 2010

Options
Sorry for being extremely vague but I want to take extended leave in December to go overseas for Xmas to see my family. I think work is only giving me ONE week unpaid leave…and I have 2 weeks annual leave owed to me – so it’ll be 3 weeks in total.

Ideally I’d like to go for around 6 weeks (lots of personal family stuff going on at home) if I were to just hand my notice in and go for the whole 6 weeks do you think that when I return in mid-January 2010 I would have a good chance of finding a job…or is it a stupid idea and I should stick with my job and not see my family at Christmas? I work in administration at the moment. Before you say ‘just go for 3 weeks’ while that may be suitable for some people it’s not good enough for me.

Any advice/opinions are welcome.

Cheers

Comments

• hur575
    hur575 Posts: 343 Forumite
    edited 20 May 2009 at 10:48AM
    Options
    no body can predict the future but you have to weigh out your options, getting jobs is getting harder nowadays, and with 2 million people out of work you will have a lot of competition. Can your work not give you another 3 weeks unpaid holiday ?
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    How long is a piece of string? :confused:
    Gone ... or have I?
  • mitchaa
    mitchaa Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry for being extremely vague but I want to take extended leave in December to go overseas for Xmas to see my family. I think work is only giving me ONE week unpaid leave…and I have 2 weeks annual leave owed to me – so it’ll be 3 weeks in total.

Ideally I’d like to go for around 6 weeks (lots of personal family stuff going on at home) if I were to just hand my notice in and go for the whole 6 weeks do you think that when I return in mid-January 2010 I would have a good chance of finding a job…or is it a stupid idea and I should stick with my job and not see my family at Christmas? I work in administration at the moment. Before you say ‘just go for 3 weeks’ while that may be suitable for some people it’s not good enough for me.

Any advice/opinions are welcome.

Cheers

Crazy idea if you are asking me especially as unemployment is ready to rocket to 3m and i know of some jobs where the application to position ratio is over 500:1:eek:

If you can happily just give up your job to go on a jolly as and when you feel like, the chances are your CV will go straight into the bin when you start applying for jobs on your return. Why would an employer want to employ you, if you feel the need to just go on 6wk jollies as and when you feel like?

I want a 250mph ferrari and a 10 bed mansion, i suppose i could go and rob a bank to get it:rolleyes:

Go for the 3wks and stop being so stupid, either that or shatter your wrist with a hammer and get 6wks sick leave.
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    Go for 3 weeks and keep your job - I know you say that you that going for 3 weeks isnt suitable for you but put it like this there are more than 2 million unemployed and more are being made redundant all the time as companies become bankrupt so the chances of you possibly getting another job in 2010 are probably zero. At least if you have 3 weeks holiday then you get to keep your job and you can always have another 3 weeks off the following year.

Or..another alternative - quit your job and go back to your home country and find a job there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure