JSA - Volunteering - offered training?

Options
Hi,
I've looked on jobcentreplus and directgov but they're so vague it hasn't helped :rolleyes:
Whilst I've been unemployed I've been volunteering with charity. Now they've offered me chance to do an NVQ level 2 in 6 months. Basically I do and write up certain activities (it's conservation work; and would be part time only) and end up with qualification :j

BUT would this affect the JSA? I've no other income and have been claiming over 6 months... could I push for this new deal thing and have this training instead of whatever they'd pick? Not sure how new deal works other than it is more training focussed - so I've saved them finding me a placement :p

Or - as seems to be the case - would trying to help myself mean I'm breaking the rules and would be ineligible for JSA? :confused:

Thanks in advance :D
"She who asks is a fool once. She who never asks is a fool forever"
I'm a fool quite often :D

Comments

• annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If its with BTCV they work with the job centre so that wouldn't be a problem but you are still expected to look for work and be willing to give up the course if you found a job etc etc.

You are allowed to do voluntary work whilst signing on, even if it gives you a qualification at the end.
    good luck but its tough competion for jobs in that field but you will have a great time doing it.
    And if you like it consider further college courses.
  • HelenYorkshire
    Options
    Hi, decided to update my thread after a very useful review/interview today :)
    Basic rules are:
    - part time training under 16 hours per week is fine
    - you can now do full time courses of up to two weeks (although from a limited/selected list)
    - you must be willing to give up course should a job offer come through
    - and of course you must fill in the right form in order to declare the training.

Hope this helps somebody :)
    "She who asks is a fool once. She who never asks is a fool forever"
    I'm a fool quite often :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills