'Pulling out of Govt’s Student finance day...' blog discussion

edited 14 May 2009 at 5:01PM in Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News
22 replies 4.3K views

Replies

• littlemissmoneylittlemissmoney Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    It's also worth noting the NUS has said its a pretty good deal

:mad: I'm shocked that NUS aren't campaigning about this. They are meant to be on the side of us students!!
    :p Proud to be a MoneySaver! :p
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Martin, sign the petition!! :D
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    mykitten wrote: »
    Sorry Martin I don't agree with you. The Govt dept know you are an impartial person, respected etc and you said you have an agreement to "speak your mind" on topics so you should have. Who pays the piper does not call the tune!

Who would know the reasons why you pulled out (except on here?) Do you tailor all of your money advice to whoever is paying you for the day?

From my perspective I had gone there agreeing to talk about encouraging students to not be scared of going to uni but effectively hijacked it to talk about outsltandng student loans for graduates that would've been inappropriate. Plus both our important issues and I don't want to hurt one to benefit the other.

Do remember I have my own access to media I dont need the govt to do so - this was a local radio day - ulitmately I wrote about this in my news of the world column at the weekend, which has a far bigger audience, and here ont he site which has a huge one.

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's also worth noting the NUS has said its a pretty good deal, which certainly makes campaigning on an issue like this much more difficult.
    If there anything like they were 10-14 years ago, I'm not surprised. The only thing worth noting about the NUS was that they didn't represent students.
  • adambroadambro Forumite
    243 Posts
    I think part of the problem, noting the apparent lack of concern from the NUS, is that students aren't really adequately represented. Pensioners as a group are very well represented, have sufficient time to get involved in campaigning on issues, have a better understanding of politics, and, perhaps most significantly, more older people vote than younger people. In 2005, turnout of under 25s was 44% whilst for over 64s was 86% (http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2005/dec/28/voterapathy.comment).

The government listen to older people more than younger people because it has a greater impact on whether they get re-elected! I would strongly urge more younger people to develop at least a basic understanding of how our countries politics work and actually go out and vote in the forthcoming and subsequent elections.

If you've followed Martin's advise on improving your credit rating then you'll already be on the electoral roll so all you need to do is make sure you are registered for a postal vote and then it is extremely straightforward to vote.

If younger people want better treatment form government then they need to vote, simple as that. Politics isn't just something people take part in to keep their moat clean, it has a massive impact on all of us.
  • BruceyBonusBruceyBonus Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    The NUS doesn't seem to represent students anymore. What with giving up on tuition fees and now accepting this, why should I bother being a member of the NUS? I am strongly considering putting a proposal to my union next year that we should pull out of NUS.
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is worth noting when discussing the NUS its job is to represent students. Those who are paying debts are primarily former not current students. THe argument re representation is a difficult one.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • edited 20 May 2009 at 4:26PM
    littlemissmoneylittlemissmoney Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 20 May 2009 at 4:26PM
    It is worth noting when discussing the NUS its job is to represent students. Those who are paying debts are primarily former not current students. THe argument re representation is a difficult one.

Those repaying the debt might primarily not be current students, but interest is charged from the day the loan installment is paid so this affects the vast majority of current students. In fact, current/recent students tend to be the ones in the most debt so it would affect them the most! I'm a current member of NUS and I'm going to email them tonight to air my dissatifaction.
  • SillychuckieSillychuckie Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone explain to me why the Govt can do this?
    Is the loan between students and the SLC not a binding contract like any other? If the original terms of the loan say it will track inflation (and mentions no 0% minimum), then is this not a breach of the terms?

I have a loan, but I'm not sure I have the small print surrounding the terms of it. Why is it the are able to do this?
    Thanks. SC
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone explain to me why the Govt can do this?
    Is the loan between students and the SLC not a binding contract like any other? If the original terms of the loan say it will track inflation (and mentions no 0% minimum), then is this not a breach of the terms?

I have a loan, but I'm not sure I have the small print surrounding the terms of it. Why is it the are able to do this?
    Thanks. SC

The government has basically changed the law to say they can do this! :(:rolleyes: I can't believe more people aren't up in arms!!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides