We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Skirt problems!

I have a cotton skirt that's supposed to be creased (the girl in the shop told me to tie it when I washed it) but now it just looks enormous. I don't want to waste it, so does anyone know how I can make it crease properly? I end up with lumpy bits.

Comments

  • goanmad
    goanmad Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    Do you mean a crinkle skirt? My Mum used tohave this trouble with her Indian hippy skirts back in the 1970's and always did the following:
    When you've washed the skirt and it's still damp you need to get someone to hold one end (or peg one end firmly to the washing line) and keep twisting until it resembles a sausage. When you can't physically twist it any more stuff the whole thing down one leg of a pair of tights, knotting the tights around it at the top and at the bottom. Leave the whole thing to dry, either pegged at one end on the washing line, or if the heating is on, you can stuff it between the wall and the radiator. This should restore the creases.
    When the skirt isn't being worn keept it twisted and store down the leg of a pair of tights.
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    I was going to say a similar thing to the above poster. I had a crinkle skirt a couple of years back and the label said to twist it, knot it and wash it and dry it that way. The tights idea sounds like a lot less faff though! The only trouble was that I found it took quite a long time to dry.
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away :p
  • Dilcia
    Dilcia Posts: 7 Forumite
    Thanks goanmad
    I will try what you suggest. I will let you know what happens!
  • goanmad
    goanmad Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    Good luck! Looking forward to hearing how you get on.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.