Basic dental care - how much does it cost?

Options
I'm a US citizen living in the UK, and I'm still trying to get used to things. As far as I can tell, I have no chance of getting an NHS dentist. ;) That's not too heavy a blow, because I paid for my own dental care in the US, and didn't think anything of it. But I have no idea what prices would be here for comparison, which also means I don't have much data to use to decide if I should get a cashback plan.

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for what I would pay for a basic exam? In the US, this would include an exam, professional cleaning, and bitewing xrays for about 50 USD. If it's hugely more expensive, I can try to schedule exams for trips back to the US, but then if I ever needed any emergency treatment, I wouldn't have a local dentist.

Thanks for the help!

Michelle
Hi, I'm Mich :o
I won a years supply of Comfort fabric softener in November 2013 - more than half remains...
2015 survey proceeds £115.36

Comments

• nim_2
    nim_2 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    No idea how typical these fees are but a local dentist has their private fee set available on line:-
    http://www.acombdental.co.uk/fees.htm
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Michelle

Our dentist charges £45 for a checkup and I think it was around £30 to see the hygenist for scale and polish etc.

OR it's £10.75 a month for two check ups, annual hygenist appt and accidental emergency dental cover.

Hope that helps

Helen
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,075 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi MH,

I think you'll find UK private prices broadly similar to charges in the US for routine stuff in run of the mill practices.

More complex stuff like crowns and root fillings will be a pleasant surprise to you (Although they are quite a shock to a population used to artificial NHS prices), and our top end cosmetic stuff will seem like an absolute bargin to a US citizen.

Best wishes

T.S.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure