We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Pork hocks

2»

Comments

  • Dr_DiNg_DoNg
    Dr_DiNg_DoNg Posts: 3,897 Forumite
    cuca wrote: »
    I am new to 'hocks' and bought one recently as it was so cheap. :j I soaked it overnight (not sure if I needed to as not sure if it would be salty??) and then put it in sc. I cut the meat off the bone make up a gravy and ate it with veg and my cabbage mash potato. Then I boiled up the bone again and made the most amazing pea and ham soup too...

    So being very os I got two meals out of one cheap cut of meat - as i enjoyed it so much i got another two today....

    My first thought was that I would use it instead of bought ham for the kids sarmies for school. Any other suggestion what I can do with them?

    depends if the meat is a pork hock or a ham hock, ham hocks are cured (like gammon) and benefit from soaking. pork hocks are fresh meat.

    You cant make "pea and ham" soup from a pork hock, there would be no "ham" in it.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I have two pork hocks in the freezer -I bought a side of pork a while ago.

    Does anyone have any idea how best to use them? Will they make a tasty meaty dish or should I boil them up for stock?
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,635 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi thriftlady,

    Cover them in water and simmer gently until the meat is cooked. You could add onion, parsley, carrots etc if you want to, but it's not necessary. Once they're cooked remove the fat and strip the meat from the bone. With two hocks there should be enough for one meal for your family. Use the water that they were cooked in as you would use stock.

    Pink
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Great, thanks Pink:A Actually that was what I had in mind to do but after looking them up in Hugh FW's Meat Book I wasn't sure if there'd be enough meat on them for a meal.
  • I never see these Ham Hocks when I am in the supermarket; Are they are the Fresh Meat counter?:confused:

    I usually see gammon etc but never a ham hock, must be going around with eyes shut:rotfl:

    Really want to get one to try in SC and I hear that sometimes you can purchases them for £1
    Spreading the gospel that is Martin Lewis to the future generation....I'm a Home Economics Teacher and being thrifty is the way!:A
  • **Bump** for some 'Hock Buying Info!:D
    Spreading the gospel that is Martin Lewis to the future generation....I'm a Home Economics Teacher and being thrifty is the way!:A
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Not all supermarkets sell Ham Hocks, but I've seen them in Morrisson's on the raw meat counters.

    I've also bought them from a local 'meat warehouse': http://www.gabbottsfarm.co.uk/

    You may have a similar kind of place near to where you live. Good Luck.
  • cuca
    cuca Posts: 102 Forumite
    depends if the meat is a pork hock or a ham hock, ham hocks are cured (like gammon) and benefit from soaking. pork hocks are fresh meat.

    You cant make "pea and ham" soup from a pork hock, there would be no "ham" in it.

    Bit too technical - it tasted good and was cheap :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.