We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

My Freezer

Hiya all :D

Need some sound advice where better to come :D,[CODE]creeping so I don't get outted as a non O/Ser[/CODE]

My freezer has got a touch of the can't close the door blues and is all frozen up! Think the boys have forgot to give it a kick to close when they have sneaked the solero's ............

So, I'm having a clear out, a few items are long forgotten items that might be better for all concerned if they go into the bin, I've just cooked an oven full of rubbish...waffles, onion rings etc and let my boys and their friends tuck in.
Luckily for me it is on a running low week.

What I'd like to know is can I unplug it, put it outside and leave it to defrost? Its only an under the counter size so it won't take long, maybe whilst I'm at work?
Should I do this? an electric fridge with water running out of it?

help?
please?
Panda xx

:Tg :jo:Dn ;)e:Dn;)o:jw :T :eek:

missing kipper No 2.....:cool:

Comments

  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    I should think that is ok as long as it is unplugged and the weather is dry
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I would not put it outside in case it rains unless you are around to bring it in.
  • Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Beaten to it.

    I speeded up the defrost in mine by placing a t-light candle in a bowl in it. Just make sure the flame cannot touch the ceiling.
  • pandas66
    pandas66 Posts: 18,811 Forumite
    I'll check the weather forecast for later this week.

    Failing or rather falling rain, that I'll have to defrost it in the house again......urgh! Soggy towels and bowls that don't fit in to catch it all.......
    Panda xx

    :Tg :jo:Dn ;)e:Dn;)o:jw :T :eek:

    missing kipper No 2.....:cool:
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    If you move it, you'll need to leave it for 24 hours to allow the coolant to *settle* before using it.
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I have defrosted mine using a hair dryer and a heavy metal knife (or something like). I don't want to wait too long so I soften the ice with the hair dryer (or just chip away at it) and break off the chunks in pieces and chuck them in the sink to defrost there.
    Just had to do it with the frezer part of my larder fridge. to have it at the right temp you need the fridge quite high but it ices up so much I can't open the freezer compartment door. They are such a waste of time but it's the only one Iceland had in stock at the time and we needed one super quick..........back on tangent......please make sure you can't electrocute yourself with any water and hair dryer. No one wants crispy hair from being fried do they!
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    That's what I do Bitsy Beans. I also pop a bowl of hot water in the bottom of the freezer, as the steam from that helps things along.
  • furndire
    furndire Posts: 7,308 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Do you know anyone with a steam cleaner - they work brilliantly, job done in 15/20 mins.
  • Serena51
    Serena51 Posts: 203 Forumite
    100 Posts
    Please, please don't use Hairdryer, metal implements or candles, just asking for an accident.

    The hot water (not boiling) in a bowl is best. You can close the door to help it steam off the ice. Put an old towel on the floor and any tray/tin that will reach the bottom lip of the freezer from the floor.

    I used to work in a white goods store and the above is how we were told to do it but I have heard some horrific stories of dead freezers caused by the above 'bad' ideas.lol
  • pandas66
    pandas66 Posts: 18,811 Forumite
    I have defrosted mine using a hair dryer and a heavy metal knife (or something like). I don't want to wait too long so I soften the ice with the hair dryer (or just chip away at it) and break off the chunks in pieces and chuck them in the sink to defrost there.
    Just had to do it with the frezer part of my larder fridge. to have it at the right temp you need the fridge quite high but it ices up so much I can't open the freezer compartment door. They are such a waste of time but it's the only one Iceland had in stock at the time and we needed one super quick..........back on tangent......please make sure you can't electrocute yourself with any water and hair dryer. No one wants crispy hair from being fried do they!
    My freezer is luckily situated in my utility room which is luckily situated 3 steps from outside. I was planning on 1st thing in the morning (7.30am) on unplugging it, taking it outside to defrost.....naturally....then bringing it in after it it had done all the work (5pm)

    I won't be using any electrical items nor sharp knives as i am a walking disaster zone at the best of times...:D

    I just need a weather report for Friday, I will be leaving it alone after it comes back in as I won't go shopping till Monday.
    Panda xx

    :Tg :jo:Dn ;)e:Dn;)o:jw :T :eek:

    missing kipper No 2.....:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.