We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Orange-flavoured cocoa - ideas for what I can do with it?

I need ideas for what I can do with tubs of "Luxury Hot Chocolate, Orange Flavour".

Whittard sell this (or used to, anyway) - and when they were having a clearance, I bought about four tubs of this, thinking it sounded good. But unlike Terry's Chocolate Oranges, this stuff is really not very good at all, at least not for drinking...so I have loads of it to use up.

Ingredients are cocoa, dextrose, flavouring, salt, and it's 40% cocoa solids.

I made a chocolate cake with it, using it instead of cocoa powder and reducing the sugar called for in the recipe, and that was good - but I don't make many cakes, and I think we'd all be very sick of them before we used all this up!

Any other ideas of what I could use it for?

Comments

  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    give it away as gifts ?
    onwards and upwards
  • Frugalista
    Frugalista Posts: 1,747 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Use it in Twinks Hobnobs - I regularly make chocolate/orange ones with cocoa and orange essence - lovely with chocolate chips in too!!
    "Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718

    We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    Choc orange custard, or maybe make some cakes and freeze them
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • marrowgirl
    marrowgirl Posts: 738 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    choc/orange cheesecake?

    base of crushed digestives & butter (I add chopped hazlenuts too). creamy bit either choc/orange stuff plus marscapone, sour cream & gelatine or an unset/low cal version of quark &choc stuff. Add mandarin segments and choc curls on the top. Fabulous!

    now i'm hungry again.
    "I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown
  • Frugalista
    Frugalista Posts: 1,747 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I don't make many cakes, and I think we'd all be very sick of them before we used all this up!

    Why do you feel you need to use it all up quickly? Forget the best before date - it will keep for ages (years?) after that.
    "Men are generally more careful of the breed(ing) of their horses and dogs than of their children" - William Penn 1644-1718

    We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended.
  • blueberrypie
    blueberrypie Posts: 2,402 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Thanks for all the replies :-)

    I like the idea of using it in Twink's hobnobs, and I suppose I could use it in any kind of chocolate cookie recipe too. I don't like custard, but the kids might - actually, I wonder if I could use it to make some sort of Angel's Delight type dessert? Cheesecake sounds good too.

    I might offer some of it to friends who would bake with it - it's just not good enough as a drink to give it anyone as a gift (not anyone I like anyway LOL)

    Frugalista - I'm not bothered about the best-before dates - I just want it to stop taking up space in the cupboard :-D
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.