We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Yeast

I searched but didn't find what i was after.

Where can i buy real yeast?

How much does it cost?

Is is better than dried/quick yeast?

Where is the cheapest place to buy quick yeast? I found 125g for £1.09 in lakeland which i though was a very good price. Anyone got any better places?
Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam

Comments

  • v8monkeyboy
    v8monkeyboy Posts: 400 Forumite
    I get mine from Morrisons - you either pay a very small amount for it, or they will give it out for free if you go the the bakery.

    HTH :)
  • If you go to Tescos or ASDA they will give you fresh yeast free:j. They normally give you quite a big piece which I then chop up and shove in the freezer. You can freeze for 3 months. I got tiny plastic containers from ASDA for 15p.

    I weigh my yeast before I freeze it and then individually wrap each bit so i can just use as needed.

    Hope this is of some help. Good luck.
  • blueberrypie
    blueberrypie Posts: 2,402 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    If you go to Tescos or ASDA they will give you fresh yeast free:j.

    I think it depends on the store. My local Tesco said no several times, but last time I asked I got some - but was charged for it.
  • BigBouncyBall
    BigBouncyBall Posts: 1,937 Forumite
    Ok

    my usual is sainsburys so i'll try there. There is usually only some surly looking 18 year old behind the counter so i doubt i'll get much out of him.

    I wondered more about wether a deli would have it.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    I got some in our local Asda - I just asked at the bakery counter and they gave it to me free of charge - I dont do it too often in case they stop giving it out!
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.