We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

May I just say...

... MrS's basics 17p chicken soup makes a great alternative to a white sauce in a lasagne. Mmm!

Comments

  • Ivrytwr3
    Ivrytwr3 Posts: 6,304 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    well that sounds absolutely disgusting!
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Ingredients in Sainsbury's basics chicken soup

    Water, Modified Maize Starch, Chicken (2%), Chicken Fat, Rapeseed Oil, Chicken Bouillon (Natural Flavouring, Salt, Yeast Extract, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder), Sugar, Wheat Flour, Skimmed Milk Powder (from Cows' Milk), Stabilisers: Diphosphates, Polyphosphates, Salt, Garlic Powder, White Pepper, Sage Flavouring (Salt, Natural Flavouring, Sunflower Oil), Colour: Mixed Carotenes.

    Ingredients in hm white sauce

    flour, butter, milk
  • rocketdog_2
    rocketdog_2 Posts: 144 Forumite
    Ivrytwr3 wrote: »
    well that sounds absolutely disgusting!


    Unless you're making chicken lasange, I suppose. :confused:

    I must admit, I'm not brave enough to try that out for myself though!

    Rocketdog x
  • newMS
    newMS Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    i personally don't like lasagne but make for my lad and blokey .... would soup not be too runny ?
    mustn't grumble :cool:
  • FreebieRocker
    FreebieRocker Posts: 329 Forumite
    That sounds quite nice actually! Shame I never go there. Have to try other brands, I guess!
    .Sometimes.I.Wonder.Why.I'm.Still.Here.
    .Sometimes.I.Think.I'm.Going.Crazy.
  • marrowgirl
    marrowgirl Posts: 738 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    A chicken dish at work was always really popular, then we found out how easy it was. Just bits of cooked chicken left over from the roast dinner mixed with chicken soup, added mushrooms, sometimes onion. Ate with creamy mashed potatoes.
    Sounds a bit nasty but really tasted fab and moneysaving. (they used campbells condensed soup but i'm sure the Mr S one would be fine and cheaper)
    "I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown
  • kittyscarlett
    kittyscarlett Posts: 415 Forumite
    edited 11 May 2009 at 9:17PM
    thriftlady wrote: »
    Ingredients in Sainsbury's basics chicken soup

    Water, Modified Maize Starch, Chicken (2%), Chicken Fat, Rapeseed Oil, Chicken Bouillon (Natural Flavouring, Salt, Yeast Extract, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder), Sugar, Wheat Flour, Skimmed Milk Powder (from Cows' Milk), Stabilisers: Diphosphates, Polyphosphates, Salt, Garlic Powder, White Pepper, Sage Flavouring (Salt, Natural Flavouring, Sunflower Oil), Colour: Mixed Carotenes.

    Ingredients in hm white sauce

    flour, butter, milk

    Exactly. And I bet you could make the same quantity of white sauce for less than the cost of the can of soup.

    Also, condensed soup is different from normal tinned soup, its much thicker and can be used as a sauce on its own. ( not by me as I loathe tinned soup, full stop )
    " Baggy, and a bit loose at the seams.. "
    ~ November 8th 2008. Now totally DEBT FREE !~
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.