We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Professional Bodies & Tax Allowances

Options
I'm going through my past six years taxes claiming back laundry costs for uniforms and have noticed a lot of mistakes with calculations and tax paid.
I used to work as an outdoor instructor and in order to use my paddling qualifications I had to be a member of the British Canoe Union at a cost of £35 a year. Can I claim anything back for this?
At the moment I'm working for Tesco and paid £100 this year for USDAW membership, can I claim for this as well?
Also I have been paying into a pension for the past 2 years, £765 & £615, I have recieved a NI rebate due to this of £10.92 & £12.00. Are any other allowances / rebates I can ask for on these contributions.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Money_Grabber13579
    Options
    With regards to professional contributions, these need to be wholly, necessarily and exclusively for work purposes. So it sounds like the canoe membership is allowable however is the USCAW necessary for Tesco's? (It's a union, but you don't have to join so I'd say no for this.

If your pension is coming out of your salary, then you are getting tax rebate on this, which it sounds like you are due to the NI relief. In not, these will be allowable expenses.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • Johnhowell
    Johnhowell Posts: 692 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Carlos,

My understanding is that if you pay for a professional subscription necessary for your work and your employer pays you back under expenses, then you can not claim it as well from HMRC.

A friend also works for Tesco and has his tax code increased for the uniform cleaning allowance. Also, I have never seen such poor quality pay slips - flimsy paper, seems to always be running out of ink and poorly aligned so you can not tell which number is in which cell!

Regards,
    John
  • wallace53
    wallace53 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Johnhowell. You are correct, IF the employer has a "dispensation" for not disclosing the payment on the employee's P11D (benefits in kind form). Otherwise, and strictly, it should be on that form (as additional income), but claimed as an expense by the employee on his tax return, or by writing to HMRC. (Unnecessarily complicated, or what?)
  • carlos1973
    carlos1973 Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Johnhowell wrote: »
    Carlos,

My understanding is that if you pay for a professional subscription necessary for your work and your employer pays you back under expenses, then you can not claim it as well from HMRC.

A friend also works for Tesco and has his tax code increased for the uniform cleaning allowance. Also, I have never seen such poor quality pay slips - flimsy paper, seems to always be running out of ink and poorly aligned so you can not tell which number is in which cell!

Regards,
    John
    If they are unsure of any of the entries then they can the wages clerk to check on their screen. Annoying I know but every store is the same.
  • carlos1973
    carlos1973 Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the answers. I should get my P60 on Friday so a letter is due for the Taxman I think. Cheers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport