help my employer messing me around

Options
13»

Comments

• McDuck
    McDuck Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    Why not write a letter to your boss laying out your concerns and what your questions are.

BTW it sounds like your employer has been v reasoanble. 7 months in alternative work is a long period of time.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    McDuck wrote:
    BTW it sounds like your employer has been v reasoanble. 7 months in alternative work is a long period of time.

I would disagree. The employer may have legal obligations to fulfill,especially if there are DDA issues to be mindfull of therefore they may have little option but to comply with the act. Factor into the situation that 7/8 months later the employee has no clear understanding of what is happening or what the longer term situation is regarding the employers intentions,it becomes a bit of a shambles,even more so when you discover your substantive post has been given to a new employee.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • neil4842
    neil4842 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    spoke to the union rep whos the shop steward to the other department in work and he has told me that he is going to take this up for me and if nothing sorted within 2 weeks he will go in and sort it out and if he doesnt get any joy he will get someone from the gmb offices to start talks with the people above the managers in charge of me as this is not acceptable as there is no reason why i can not do the other job that was offered as it is the same job that he is doing and he has a high stage of white finger. cheers for all the help
  • caroline1973lefty
    Options
    Very glad to hear you have more hopeful news from the union. It is totally unacceptable for you to be treated like a gofer, that hardly qualifies as a reasonable adjustment by the employer. I'd try and get stuff in writing from them if possible, makes it more difficult for them to fob you off. If you aren't getting anywhere with your shop stewards (who may not be that familiar with the workings of the Disability Discrimination Act) I would recommend talking to the branch secretary, or contacting the union centrally to see if they have an officer or committee who deals with disability equality issues.
    The other thing you could try is contacting the Disability Rights Commission for advice, though they might try and refer you back to your union, they are the experts in this area.
    Lastly depending on the nature of your job if there are adjustments the employer could make which would help you do a certain job, but which would cost money, the employer could apply to Access to Work (via the local job centre) to get funding - for example for special keyboards, that sort of thing.
    "The Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed" - Ghandi
  • McDuck
    McDuck Posts: 114 Forumite
    Options
    ohreally wrote:
    I would disagree. The employer may have legal obligations to fulfill,especially if there are DDA issues to be mindfull of therefore they may have little option but to comply with the act. Factor into the situation that 7/8 months later the employee has no clear understanding of what is happening or what the longer term situation is regarding the employers intentions,it becomes a bit of a shambles,even more so when you discover your substantive post has been given to a new employee.

We will have to agree to disagree. The DDA is an incredibly poorly drafted piece of legislation, it appears to be onerous (on employers) and have the all the good packaging to enable politicians to trumpet how people with disabilities are protected. But in reality a disabled person (especially one who becomes disabled due to, for example, an accident at work), can be dismissed lawfully and fairly after about 2-3 months absence / reduced capability and with only conducting 2 meetings.

Therefore to be still employed, albeit in a different job, 7 months later (on the same pay I assume as there is no mention of pay) is reasonable.

Most importantly I am happy that it seems to moving towards a positive conclusion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure