We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Tax query 1 - home office rebate confusion?

Options
Hi, can anyone help? Having a couple of on-going communications with tax office and I'm not quite sure what to do next!

Work from home rebate. Following advice from someone on here (thanks) I contacted the tax office claiming a rebate on working from home for last couple of years. Sent off all contracts and offers of employment to prove my working location, and 6 weeks later (27/03/09) I got a letter saying I could have £2/week for 03/07/06 to 05/04/08 and £3/week after; or I could claim actual costs by supplying bills etc.

I wrote back on 30th March and said I'd have the £2 and £3 a week calculation.

Yesterday, after telephone chasing, I finally got a response - not the cheque I had hoped for - saying my claim for flat rate working expense was accepted. I now have to send my 2008-09 P11D from from current employer. For 2009-10 my PAYE code will be altered to give me £156 deduction.

I thought they had agreed in first letter to send me the rebate, why do they now want P11D for last working year. I'm trying to claim from 03/07/06 so why no other P11D requested? Is it possible this person is confused and just repeating their first letter, or are they still wanting more documents?

Plus they want original P11D - I never receive this, just a scanned copy by email. I assumed my employer sent the original to tax office?

More frustrated because I know if I write back, it'll be another 6 weeks to get a letter. Its taken 3 months+ to get this far!

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Elaine_Wilson
    Elaine_Wilson Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    It looks as though they have agreed the postion up to 5th April 2008 and accept that a repayment is due to you. Before making this repayment they will want to check to see if you have any other liabilities to them so they can do a set-off.

The only possible year you might owe for is 2008/09 so they want to review the tax position for that year. It is possible they do not have your earnings figures yet since the filing deadline is the 19th May and it is very likely that the P11D has not yet been filed (the deadline here is in July).

Of course, this could also be a good way of putting off dealing with it.
    If it’s not important to you, don’t consume it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family