🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Should I be doing a self assessment?

Options
splatt30
splatt30 Posts: 339 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hi,
I'm after some advise. I am a higher rate tax payer (have been for 5 years) and have never filled in a self assessment form. All my income is from 1 employer and tax is taken on PAYE. Our savings offset our mortgage so there is no extra income from interest.

Some of my colleagues have had money back from the tax man for things like professional fees, others, seemingly in the same situation have had nasty bills through for thousands of pounds saying that they had under paid on the PAYE, when they have completed self assessment forms.

So, is it worth it?

Comments

• fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    Self assessment isn't something that you do because 'its worth it', but because you have to.

Basically, if you have additional tax to pay - from self employment, income from property, untaxed interest, then you have to self assess. Also, if you are a higher rate taxpayer and have only paid basic rate tax on interest or some other income.

If this does not apply to you, then you should not self assess. If you wish to claim relief for professional fees, then you can just write a letter to your tax office setting out your claim. If HMRC judges that it wants you to self assess, then they will issue you with a form. Its certainly not a system you should get into if you dont need to.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family