Inlays

Options
My dentist has recommended that I have my amalgam fillings out and replaced by inlays. He says that this is not because the existing fillings are broken but because there may eventually be hairline cracks where bacteria can get in and cause decay underneath. Is this right?! Sounds strange when most of the population has amalgam fillings...has anyone done this?

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,075 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Is it a new dentist or one you've been with for some time?

Are the teeth giving any problems? When were the fillings done?

My personal philosophy is not to go drilling at teeth unless there is a very good reason.

Whether there is a very good reason in your case I couldn't know without looking in your mouth.

What your dentist is saying could be perfectly true, or it could be hogwash. Have you been with him long enough to be confident in his judgement? Were you recommended to go there by people who are very happy with him/her?

Amalgam fillings are a good long lasting fix when done well. They can cause the problems mentioned if they are not done well.

How do you feel about it?
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure