We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Lamb for a curry

Hi everyone,

I'm making a lamb curry on Saturday night from a slimming world book and the recipe just calls for 1kg "lean lamb". What do you think I'd be best using? It's simmered for 2hrs so I was wondering if I should just get a boneless lamb leg or shoulder? If so, what weight do you think I'll need to get 1kg without the fat?

Thanks,

Kevin

Comments

  • ascot64
    ascot64 Posts: 146 Forumite
    If I were you I'd go for neck fillet. Boneless leg will be expensive and shoulder is quite fatty. Neck fillet isn't as lean as leg but it is a lot cheaper and gives a lovely tender result. It is leaner than shoulder.
  • hotcookie101
    hotcookie101 Posts: 2,060 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I second the neck fillet, but saying that I usually just ask the butcher to bone and chop a shoulder, trying to keep as lean as possible-but has much more flavour :D A half shoulder usually gives about 750g, but then, it depends on size of the lamb! We bought one recently (whole) and has one shoulder boned and diced, and have about 1.8kg of that :D:D
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Check your local butcher-mine sells boned diced lamb which is great for curry. I suspect that it is mainly shoulder but it is lean.
  • horsechestnut
    horsechestnut Posts: 1,446 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Tesco had lean, half-legs of lamb at a reasonable price (bone in). Just cut up the meat yourself (it doesn't have to be perfect) and put the bone in with the curry to give extra flavour.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.