We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Dress making help please

can anyone help me please?

I'm sure this is obvious, but I don't want to make a mistake. I have laid the paper pattern for my lovely new blouse on the material and pinned it in place......
Now, do I cut exactly along the paper or am I supposed to cut 1.5 cm away from the paper. What I mean is, is the seam alowence built into the paper pattern.....
Does that make any sense?

Thanks:o
«1

Comments

  • sairy2005
    sairy2005 Posts: 124 Forumite
    It should tell you on the pattern. Read the instructions carefully. Most patterns do show the seam allowance quite clearly with a dotted line, especialy if it is a multi size pattern.
  • flissh
    flissh Posts: 720 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Thanks for that sairy. I have read and re-read the pattern but just cannot glean this info from it. There is a lot of stuff written on the pattern, some in spanish, I am a complete novice at this.

    Will look again.
  • Sagaris
    Sagaris Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    What make of pattern is it?

    I remember my mum (a qualified dressmaker LOL) complaining about some makes of pattern because they didn't have the seam allowance built in - can't remember which one but could always check with her later!
    :j Almost 2 stones gone! :j
    :heart2: RIP Clio 1.9.93 - 7.4.10 :heart2:
    :p I WILL be tidy, I WILL be tidy! :p
  • flissh
    flissh Posts: 720 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    it is a 'New look'
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    flissh - if the pattern is American it will almost certainly have the seam allowance already included (and won't show a dotted line). But as said before the instructions should tell you how much allowance is included. Continental patterns are usually without seam allowance included.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • sairy2005
    sairy2005 Posts: 124 Forumite
    I am pretty certain that New Look patterns include the seam allowance. All the patterns I have ever used have. If in doubt measure under the arms on all relevant bits of pattern. It should be your bust measurement + about 2" + seam allowance. If this isnt the case then the seam allowance is not on the pattern. Does this make sense? I always find it make sense to measure the pattern before I start to make sure it is going to fit. Hope this helps
  • flissh
    flissh Posts: 720 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Yes that makes sense. I seem to remember from when I last used a pattern (about thirty years ago, at school!!!!) that patterns had an obvious margin on them that was the seam allowance. But as this one is for multi sizes from 10 - 22 it can't have that.
    I have taken your advice and measured and I think it does include the seam allowance.
  • Yes, New Look have seam allowances (5/8" or 1.5cm depending on whether you're metric or not;)) already built in. In fact I don't know offhand of any commercial pattern company which doesn't include them now. Burda used to be allowance-less but bowed to pressure in the end. I prefer the patterns without seam allowance, you get a more accurate fit if you alter the patterns and then add them yourself but for many people that was a step too far. The patterns in Burda monthly magazine are allowance-less.

    HTH
    Mrs F x
  • champys
    champys Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    . Burda used to be allowance-less but bowed to pressure in the end. I prefer the patterns without seam allowance, you get a more accurate fit if you alter the patterns and then add them yourself but for many people that was a step too far. The patterns in Burda monthly magazine are allowance-less.

    HTH
    Mrs F x

    Interesting, Mrs F - the Burda patterns I buy here on the Continent are still without seam allowance. So if you would order them from say a French or German website you would get them allowance-less. (The instructions are in all languages but no English, though. I guess you are such a pro you wouldn't need them anyway!)
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
  • flissh
    flissh Posts: 720 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Thanks everyone. I have made the shirt. I worked it out in the end with all your help and I'm really pleased with it.:j
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.