We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Can I Use Milk as the Liquid in my slow cooker??

Have just been to the supermarket before it closed and bought a nice big pack of casserole beef reduced to £1.70 and some marked down bags of mixed veg....so I want to cook it all in the SC to make meals for my baby (7 months)....my question is, do you think it would be OK to boil up some milk and add this to the meat and veg to cook it in because obviously I do not want to add any kind of sauces or gravys as they contain too much salt for little one.....I would use milk anyway to thin it out when I blend it all down but do you think it will be OK in the SC for 6 hours or so?? Thanks in advance....don't want to ruin my bargains if you think the milk won't work.....
If Life Deals You a Lemon - Make Lemonade!! :j

Comments

  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I'd cook it in water to be on the safe side then add the milk later.
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • chmmy
    chmmy Posts: 267 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I agree with taplady. You may even find that the meat and veg alone have enough flavour and a good consistency when blended anyway, so the milk might not be necessary.
  • Mutantk
    Mutantk Posts: 158 Forumite
    Thanks but don't you HAVE to add some sort of liquid into the slow cooker when you cook things?
    If Life Deals You a Lemon - Make Lemonade!! :j
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,857 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    yes you have to add some liquid but water is sufficient. apart from anything else milk is very fattening as opposed to water.

    by the way, i have cooked rice pudding in my SC so using milk that way isn't a problem.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Mutantk
    Mutantk Posts: 158 Forumite
    Thanks McKneff that's good to know that you CAN use milk - I know it's fatty but because of my baby's size and age, that's a good thing!
    If Life Deals You a Lemon - Make Lemonade!! :j
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,951 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper
    I've always just used water and added plenty of veg. When it's pureed it ends up being the right consistency, and if it's too runny for your liking you could just add some potato.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    McKneff wrote: »
    apart from anything else milk is very fattening as opposed to water.

    .
    Well everything is fatty compared to water.

    Milk is not a fatty food -even whole milk has only 4% fat, in fact the carton in my fridge says it is 3.6%. For a food to be labelled low fat it has to contain less than 5 % fat.

    MutantK I think you'll find water is your best option to cook the meat in as milk will curdle and look unpleasant. I'd cook it in water and add your baby's usual milk when blending;)
  • Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    edited 6 May 2009 at 1:05PM
    I don't think milk and beef would taste nice, Stick to water. You could add a splash of ale to taste, plenty of vitamens.

    You've actually gave me an idea, I'm going to make some rice pudding in the SC.
  • ascot64
    ascot64 Posts: 146 Forumite
    Mutantk wrote: »
    Thanks but don't you HAVE to add some sort of liquid into the slow cooker when you cook things?

    Actually you don't. I often roast a joint in the SC. No added water but end up with about a pint of lovely stock.
  • *Maya*
    *Maya* Posts: 317 Forumite
    Pretani wrote: »
    I don't think milk and beef would taste nice, Stick to water. You could add a splash of ale to taste, plenty of vitamens.

    You've actually gave me an idea, I'm going to make some rice pudding in the SC.

    Ale is delish in casseroles but the temperature in a slow cooker is not high enough to burn the alcohol off so not a good idea for a 7 month baby. ;)
    :)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.