We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Any dressmakers? Help with ribbon!?!

Lobell
Lobell Posts: 621 Forumite
edited 5 May 2009 at 9:03PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hi

I'm mostly an Old Style lurker but I've learned so much here and am hoping some of you sewing divas might be able to help me find what I'm looking for.

I am going to a wedding next month and am trying to customise an existing dress (how very MSE ;)). The dress currently has a removable silver ribbon under the bust. I want to change the ribbon to a cream one. Straightforward so far, right? Problem is, I want the same type of ribbon that is already on the dress and I don't know how to describe it or where to look :confused: The existing ribbon is like a long 'tube' of satin material so that it's quite thick and satin on both sides (so when you tie it, the 'shiny' bit is always showing properly). Also, it's very 'fluid' so that it hangs nicely - not stiff like some ribbon can be. I reall am not describing this well :p

Does anyone have any idea they tyoe of thing I'm looking for and where I might find it? (pretty tall order given that description :D)

Thanks

Comments

  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I'm not sure about the type of ribbon but if you live near a haberdasher's then it might be worthwhile taking the ribbon along and seeing if they can help you. Even if they don't have it in stock they might know what it's called and then you can google it to find a supplier. I've always found the ladies in John Lewis' haberdashery department helpful, if you live near one of those.

    Failing that (and this is a loooong shot lol), if you live within travelling distance of London there's an amazing ribbon shop just off Sloane Square, called VV Rouleaux. I think they do mail order too (or there's another shop in Marylebone), if you call them, and they stock pretty much everything so I bet you'd find it there. It's not the cheapest place, but if you're really stuck I'd imagine they'd be able to help.
  • Lobell
    Lobell Posts: 621 Forumite
    Thank you for taking the time to reply.

    Think I may have found a solution...I have found a sash on ebay that may just do the trick!
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,691 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Could you make something similar out of a strip of satin sewn into a tube? Turning them inside out can be a little bit tricky if it is long and narrow try to thread a large safety pin tied to a string through it, or sew it with a string in the middle to use to pull it through itself.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.