We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Getting savoury loaf from tin

Hi, I'm hoping one of you lovely people can help. I often make savoury "loaf" style meals in a loaf tin, which I then slice and have with mash, veg etc. I can never seem to get them to come out of the tin in one piece and I am not sure why. I grease the tin liberally before adding the ingredients. Could it be that I need to let it rest once it's out of the oven? I do that now but maybe not for long enough (patience is a virtue that wasn't bestowed on me :o). I'm thinking that as it cools it will shrink away from the sides and so slide out easier - would that be right? If so, how long do I need to let it rest for? Would it be best to let it cool completely, then heat up what I need for the next meal?

Thanks in advance for any help. I did do a search but didn't find anything.
Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Comments

  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,173 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Line the tin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • savingforoz
    savingforoz Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    I have baking parchment, would that do it? Apologies if this seems obvious, but I am a newbie aspiring domestic goddess (and enjoying it all!)
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,328 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 3 May 2009 at 2:48PM
    If you line the tin with parchment/greaseproof, and grease it lightly it is highly unlikley to go wrong. You should let it cool rather than doing when completely hot - 5-10 mins should be enough.

    When i make carrot cake in a loaf tin, this is how i do it with greaseproof and it never fails. I probably don't need to also grease it, but some recipes seem to call for that and I would hate to go to all that effort for it to fall apart. Good luck.:D

    Out of interest what kind of savoury loaf do you make? It's not something I have ever tasted or thought of making. Must do a search.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

  • savingforoz
    savingforoz Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Thanks, Zippy, will try that :beer:! I'll also let it cool a bit longer than I do now, as well.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,173 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 3 May 2009 at 4:02PM
    I have baking parchment, would that do it? Apologies if this seems obvious, but I am a newbie aspiring domestic goddess (and enjoying it all!)

    Sorry savingforoz, maybe my answer came across not quite in the way intended!
    It's just that I had just finished typing a long response to you involving laying strips of folded greaseproof in the tin to use as 'handles' to lift the meatloaf out, when I realised I had missed the blindingly obvious answer myself!!!!!!!!!!!!

    The basic meatloaf recipe that I found foolproof when I was cooking for a family was minced meat, very very finely chopped onion, fresh breadcrumbs and an egg.

    Infinitely variable.....any type of meat, white or brown breadcrumbs crumbs (Use up the crusts), LOTS of seasoning, herbs etc to compliment the type of meat,

    Good luck!
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Patchwork_Quilt Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    I always use non-stick baking parchment from Asda for meatloaf, or sometimes, a butter paper, since they are free.

    The other way of doing it is to mould the meatloaf into shape on a baking tray (lined). Using this method, you get a crispier outside.
  • savingforoz
    savingforoz Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Thanks, Bronnie and Patchwork Quilt :beer:. Think I'll give both methods a try. Now that I think of it, lining the tin does seem obvious - and would use up that roll of baking parchment sat in my cupboard doing nothing...:D

    You lot are so helpful and knowledgeable :T I am enjoying so much improving my cooking skills - have come on in leaps and bounds in teh last few months :j
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.
  • janeawej
    janeawej Posts: 808 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I just cut a rectangle of baking parchment and put in the tin to line the 2 long sides and the bottom as i can be bothered to line the whole tin! then when its slightly cooled run a knife along the short ends to loosen and hey presto out it comes! hope this makes sense!
    Member 1145 Sealed Pot Challenge No4 ;)
    NSD challenge not to spend anything till 2011!:rotfl:
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Butterfly_Brain Posts: 8,862 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    I use a 2lb silicone bread tin its just pops out
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • savingforoz
    savingforoz Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    That's a good idea, Butterfly Brain, I'd not even thought of that. Thanks.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.