We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Want to start cooking - help!!

I had a quick look to see if there was a similar thread to this, but couldn't find one, so here goes.

Lately I've got into bad habits with cooking, and tend to re-heat things rather than cook from scratch. I'm 3 months pregnant and have been feeling 'off' loads of food, so I've just been eating stodge really.

I also have a 16 month old and want to make sure he eats healthily. He is brilliant at eating fruit and veg, but I often feel like I'm just hashing things together than making them into a proper meal IYSWIM?

I have a week off work now and thought I'd try to make a meal from scratch every night to try and get into the habit.

Can anyone suggest.provide links to easy, quick and wholesome recipes that are suitable for a toddler as well as adults?

Thanks
Debts May 09 [strike]£100 Od[/strike], [strike]£1550 boiler[/strike], [strike]£1750[/strike] £400 credit card :mad: Goal - to 3k of savings by Oct 2009 in time for Baby num 2 :j Total so far £1200

Comments

  • Yorkshirechick
    Yorkshirechick Posts: 369 Forumite
    Also - I usually only have around half an hour to prepare and make dinner, as once I've picked DS up from the childminder he needs to eat quickly before he gets grumpy, and also so I can get him into bed at a reasonable time.

    I also have a fairly unadventurous husband who won't eat fish unless it's battered, won't eat meat off the bone etc. You know the type :rotfl:
    Debts May 09 [strike]£100 Od[/strike], [strike]£1550 boiler[/strike], [strike]£1750[/strike] £400 credit card :mad: Goal - to 3k of savings by Oct 2009 in time for Baby num 2 :j Total so far £1200
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,635 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi Yorkshirechick,

    These threads should give you some ideas:

    Simple recipes for someone who can't really cook!

    Can't cook don't cook! Time for change.

    super quick family meal ideas

    Or have a browse through The Complete Cooking Collection

    I'll add your thread to the first link later to keep the suggestions together.

    Pink
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Congrats on the pregnancy :) In the beginning of my current pregnancy, my DD had a lot of "things" on toast, pasta and couscous as everything turned my stomach too. All these things are quick and easy and kids seem to love this sort of meal. You can throw frozen veg in with the pasta, tinned pulses, tinned fish or cooked meat - same with couscous only difference being having to ccok the veg separately but that ain't too much of a hardship ;)
    Love and compassion to all x
  • Jaycee1972
    Jaycee1972 Posts: 144 Forumite
    Hiya

    I do 4 meals a week for me and my toddler (and sometimes his dad), the other days he is at nursery or his dads for his main meal.

    I try to do a meal with pasta, one with rice and one with potatoes. The other will have one of these or occasionally may be noodles/couscous.

    We are veggie and one advantage is that meals are quicker to prepare as well as being generally cheaper and more healthy. A lot of meals here involve, onions, garlic, mushrooms and a tin of tomatoes. Then add other veg eg peppers, courgette, aubergine, carrots or things like Quorn pieces and gravy granulesfor a casserole, Quorn mince, Red Kidney Beans and chilli powder for a chilli, chick peas or tofu and curry powder/spices/yoghurt/cream for a curry, Quorn mince and herbs for bolognaise or just veg for pasta sauce. Chuck a bit of wine in a casserole/pasta sauce if you have it. For variety, you can add cans of beans (black eye, butter, Adzuki) to casseroles or pasta sauce.

    We have things like veggie sausages with potatoes and veg or Quorn fillets (you can do these in the oven in gravy adding mushrooms and onions if you feel like it), they only take 20 mins or so when thawed.

    Jacket potatoes are hearty and wholesome with any of the above or just good old cheese and beans or cauli cheese and a bit of veg on the side. I sometimes do cheesy mash, sometimes with onion or swede and have this with veg/quorn/cheese/gravy. When I was pregnant, I ate a lot of potatoe based meals as that was what I seemed to fancy (mash and gravy)!

    We often have mushrooms/courgettes fried with scrambled egg stired in on toast (to get those veggies in) but you could have this with sausage/burger and tomatoes/beans too for a more substantial meal. My little one who is 2.5 loves this but will happily eat all of the above.

    If you make something you do in a big pot, make extra for another meal that week or to freeze to save you bothering another day. I do this a lot and also take leftovers to work as we have a microwave to heat things up :)

    Have fun and congratulations on your pregnancy.

    Jane x

    Jaycee x

  • Yorkshirechick
    Yorkshirechick Posts: 369 Forumite
    Boodle wrote: »
    Congrats on the pregnancy :) In the beginning of my current pregnancy, my DD had a lot of "things" on toast, pasta and couscous as everything turned my stomach too. All these things are quick and easy and kids seem to love this sort of meal. You can throw frozen veg in with the pasta, tinned pulses, tinned fish or cooked meat - same with couscous only difference being having to ccok the veg separately but that ain't too much of a hardship ;)

    I've been trying to get DS to eat couscous for ages, but it's one of only 2 things he won't eat. Last time I tried to persevere with it and he made himself sick :eek:
    Debts May 09 [strike]£100 Od[/strike], [strike]£1550 boiler[/strike], [strike]£1750[/strike] £400 credit card :mad: Goal - to 3k of savings by Oct 2009 in time for Baby num 2 :j Total so far £1200
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,328 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 4 May 2009 at 4:51PM
    I was reading through some of those thread, and I found heaps more links Pink earlier linked to biggrinangelA.gif
    Hi sunni,

    Don't be embarrassed....we all had to learn to cook at one time or another. The best thing that you can do is to think of something you would like to make and then ask for help on here.....there will be lots of people who will be happy to help you.

    In the meantime, these threads may help:

    Son wants to cook

    ashamed cant cook

    A son who loves to cook......

    food help for a non cook

    I can't cook, can you help please?

    I wanna basic cook book

    cook book for someone leaving home?

    Moved in with OH now wanting to 'cook from scratch!'

    How did you learn to cook?


    Pink

    Heaps to browse through! Good work Pink.

    I also found this , hilarious! Mr badexamples cooking index
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.