We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Making a quilt?

VanyaHargreeves
VanyaHargreeves Posts: 937 Forumite
edited 2 May 2009 at 2:59PM in Old style MoneySaving
I want to make a quilt, and was wondering if it'd be okay to use old clothes and material to make it, or should I buy material for it?:confused:

Also what can I use to stuff it?

I'm a complete newbie at making quilts, so I've actually not got a clue what to do xD any help?

Thanks,
VH.
Undergrad law student. Take my advice with a pinch of salt! :rotfl:

Comments

  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 26,112 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    well you can make a memory quilt of scraps from old, special clothes but you do need the same type of fabrics for washing ease. (ie all cotton/polycotton)
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

    Thank you Honey Bear
  • luckys_mum
    luckys_mum Posts: 137 Forumite
    Wadding is usually the best for the middle of the quilt. You can but it online or in your local craft shop, but I would make the top of the quilt before buying any wadding. I usually start off making a quilt double bed size and then it grows and grows and it becomes king size. Try to use the same fabric all through your quilt, and old clothes make good quilts, especially old shirts.
  • Thank you, that's great advice! I'd've never known to use the same fabric, haha. I suck at householdy things
    Undergrad law student. Take my advice with a pinch of salt! :rotfl:
  • luckys_mum
    luckys_mum Posts: 137 Forumite
    If you are needing instructions for your quilt making, go on to google and look for quilt making instructions and you will get lots of sites to check out. Some of the sites even have video instructions.
  • msb5262
    msb5262 Posts: 1,619 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hello,
    I wouldn't say that all the fabrics must be the same, but they must all be washable at one temperature. If you decide that the quilt will be washed at 40 degrees, check that each fabric is ok with that. If you think about it, patchwork was first invented to use up scraps of material either left over from making clothes/soft furnishings or rescued as the unworn bits of clothes which were worn out in places (eg at elbows/knees). I think the idea of making a quilt from scraps you've already got is lovely and very OS! I've kept various garments of my children's as they grow up specifically to include in a quilt like this.
    Hope it goes well for you,
    MsB
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Patchwork_Quilt Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    I buy a new duvet from the Factory Shop and use that for the inside of a quilt.

    The best thing to use is shirt material, although you have to be careful that they are not too worn. I often ask for donations from friends and neighbours. The same kind of fabric is often used in summer skirts and pyjamas. I did use some satin in one. It's ok if it's good quality stuff - like the bridesmaid's dress I used but the thin stuff is to be avoided as it's too slippy and stretchy.

    I back my quilts with polycotton floral sheets from the charity shop and use the edges for patches in the quilt itself so that it all matches.

    Good luck. Post a picture when it's done. We'd love to see it.
  • pennyocs
    pennyocs Posts: 239 Forumite
    i made my daughter a quilt out of all her first clothes all those lovely newborn clothes and dresses, she is now 3 and has it on her bed and everyone comments on how lovely it is,and everytime i make her bed i remember her in the clothes its made out of.
    i also made my son one out of old jeans that was much easier as i had never done any sewing before in my life.
    (makes note to self must get sewing machine out again)
    when your life is a mess light one more cigarette its so logical!!

    get up and dance,get up and smile,get up and drink to the days that are gone in the shortest while :T
    There's no profit in peace boys we better fight some more:(
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.