We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Birthday cake filling

Hello I have made a plain sponge this morning.
It has now cooled and I am thinking about filling it.
So far I have filled it with a layer of jam.
Do you think I should add a layer of butter icing as well or leave it as it is?
Thanks in advance J x
;););););););););)

Comments

  • Lippycow
    Lippycow Posts: 312 Forumite
    The butter icing sounds nice i would go with that:)
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,216 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Jammygal wrote: »
    Hello I have made a plain sponge this morning.
    It has now cooled and I am thinking about filling it.
    So far I have filled it with a layer of jam.
    Do you think I should add a layer of butter icing as well or leave it as it is?
    Thanks in advance J x

    Fresh cream is nice, too. Don't add it until you're ready to serve, though, as any cake left will need to be refridgerated.

    Try dusting the top with caster or icing sugar for a professional finish :D

    Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Ephemera
    Ephemera Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Butter icing can be improved by adding a teaspoonful of water to the mix while you're whipping it up...makes it sooo much lighter!
    If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.



This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.