We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Cleaning Up Credit Rating

Hi,

I got my statutory credit reports through yesterday and was a bit miffed to see both HSBC and Halifax Card services had put a "1" note on for missed payment. In both instances these were the fault of the companies and both have written to confirm this.

If I call them are they obliged to remove the late payment notice from my file and if so, is there a timescale in which they have to do it?

In the meantime is it worth adding a notice of correction onto my credit file or is a missed payment not seen as 'all that bad'? I'm saving for a mortgage deposit so would hate something like this to trip me up at the last minute.

many thanks

Comments

  • $17mma
    $17mma Posts: 2,623 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Definately write to them and send a copy of the letter you received from them confirming that it was their error. They should action it within 2 weeks.

    Have you signed up to the 30 day free trials that both Experian and Equifax offer? This way they can action all of these things for you and will contact the companies on your behalf.
    MFWB
    Mortgage when started: £232,000
    Current mortgage Sept 2024: £232,000
    Mortgage free day: Sept 2029

    Saving: £12k 2025
  • sandanista
    sandanista Posts: 60 Forumite
    One thing I have learned in the last few months or so is the need to check your credit files several times a year, rather than several times a decade like I have been. Before October last year, the last time I checked my file was back in 1999!!!
    I've lost over 100lbs in two years, I can be debt free too.
  • FatJock
    FatJock Posts: 196 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi,

    Anyone know how I can apply for this 30 day free trial. Was refused a Halixfax CC yesterday (0% for 12 months) but they gave me a recorded message saying something about experian and payments history.

    Any advice greatly received.

    Thanks
    FatJock
  • sandanista
    sandanista Posts: 60 Forumite
    Experian
    https://www.creditexpert.co.uk follow the instructions
    I've lost over 100lbs in two years, I can be debt free too.
  • cosmile
    cosmile Posts: 355 Forumite
    sandanista wrote:
    Experian
    https://www.creditexpert.co.uk follow the instructions

    can anyone see how much it costs after the 30 day trial??
  • FatJock
    FatJock Posts: 196 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    sandanista wrote:
    Experian
    https://www.creditexpert.co.uk follow the instructions

    Thanks, just logged on, completed the registration form, paid the money now lets wait to see what they say.

    Thanks again
    :T
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,759 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I think it said £5.99 a month. They don't take the money until the 30 days trial is up. I presume you email to cancel.

    customerservice@creditexpert.co.uk
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • browney_2
    browney_2 Posts: 37 Forumite
    I have had this problem before, If you dispute the missed payment they will contact them. Mine were eventually removed after sending proof to them. Also, if it is proved wrong I think they will write to any company who has checked your file in the last few months to advise also.
    Nice to save.
  • Epiphone
    Epiphone Posts: 223 Forumite
    Hi

    Thanks for all the replies. I've used the trial creditexpert thing about 18 months ago so I'm going to call them and follow up with a (recorded delivery) letter. I'll try hte catch more flies with honey approach and go from there :)

    thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.