What's a good but straightforward TV for a pensioner?

Options
My father-in-law is after a 22" TV (24" or 26" at the biggest) when he moves into his new home shortly. He's in his 80s, wears glasses, and he wants something that's very easy to use, simple remote control with fairly large, easy to follow buttons, etc, no complicated menus and planners. He can't get to grips with our Sky + remote very well when he's at our house, for example.

He also needs a clear picture and sound.

Could anyone recommend anything suitable? Been in looking at the Tesco catlogue as well as the Argos one, but not sure which one would be the best for him.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks. :A
Big thanks to Martin Lewis for helping us start to sort out our finances!!!:A

Best Comp win:X-Box 360!!

And thank you to all posters! You're wonderful!

Comments

• Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 May 2009 at 8:28AM
    Options
    Not sure if you will be able to avoid menu's, as you will need to make sure it has freeview because the digital switchover is imminent.

I think you best bet would be to try a load of them in one of the retailers.
  • TehJumpingJawa
    TehJumpingJawa Posts: 656 Forumite
    Options
    Bongedone wrote: »
    Not sure if you will be able to avoid menu's, as you will need to make sure it has freeview because the digital switchover is imminent.

I think you best bet would be to try a load of them in one of the retailers.

...but obviously don't buy it from said retailer! (unless by some miracle, they're cheaper than online) :money:
  • Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    Options
    Good point!
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    My mum (who is 60) has a Humax and she seems quite happy with that. the remote has nice big buttons.
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    get a TV of your choice and then buy an all in one replacement remote control with limited buttons that are easy to see.
  • sprogs
    sprogs Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    John Lewis offer a 5 year guarantee on their TVs and I know they used to give a free installation service (not well advertised!) whereby somebody from the store would deliver it and set it up. Obviously you needed to live within a certain distance from the store.

They will also price match in some circumstances.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I recently bought a 32" Toshiba and a smaller 19" Toshiba for the bedroom, both with freeview. The remotes for both are the same and very simple to use. The sound on the 19" felt a bit tinny when I first got it but possibly because the sound on the 32" is very good and I don't notice any difference now. I believe John Lewis recommend Toshiba.
  • Harveycat_2
    Harveycat_2 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    megaremote1-450x600.jpg
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Avoid the cheaper makes as from what I've heard, the sound is of very poor quality on most.

I recently replaced my tv with a Philips, a brand I had previously & always been happy with. The picture & sound quality are excellent. The remote control buttons on this new tv are not as big as on my previous tv however.

John Lewis stock Philips tv's, along with other major brands. As they offer a 5yr guarantee & free delivery it makes them pretty good value.

Also, if you did buy a set & for any reason your FIL couldn't get on with it, they would probably change it for him within the first couple of weeks. I know years ago they did this for me when I bought a video recorder that was far too complicated for me to use.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure