We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Care home charges
Comments
-
Hello everyone,
my understanding of fully funded contiuing health care is that if an individual has complex and unpredictable health care needs, care will be fully funded by the NHS.
HTH0 -
I think the problem is that the person has social care needs not medical needs. I couldn't get funding for a downstairs shower as bathing isn't needed. Thats social services for you. Wash a full grown man over with a damp cloth. Trying to get any help is a nightmare, and I wholeheartedly understand what you say about being forced to sign the papers.
I can't offer any help as when you tell them the law they just ignor it. I wish you all the best for the future, I hope this gets sorted out. Hugs stay strong.Barclaycard 3800
Nothing to do but hibernate till spring
0 -
Amanda65 wrote:So how come you have to pay then John?
The simple reason is that the NHS are defying the court ruling. The NHS have got criteria which are so tightly defined now that Pam Coughlan, who won her case for 100% NHS care, is tetraplegic and would not be entitled to fully funded NHS care.
Each case has to be proved on its own merit!
So much for "cradle to grave" care within the NHS. If they want those to pay for their own care fine, but let everyone pay for the nursing etc. It is discrimnatory towards the elderly.0 -
The sad thing is that old people die while fighting to get the care they are entitled to.Barclaycard 3800
Nothing to do but hibernate till spring
0 -
Jiggly wrote:Hello everyone,
my understanding of fully funded contiuing health care is that if an individual has complex and unpredictable health care needs, care will be fully funded by the NHS.
HTH
That is indeed how the NHS interpret their own rules. However the 1948 Act that created the NHS (and is still in force) does not make any differentials between levels of care needs. This is the overriding law of the land, which is why these case usually end up going to law, This costs money and if you are poor to start with (and if you were rich you wouldn't worry about paying the fees in the first place) you can't afford a legal challenge.0 -
I feel so sorry for you. It must be difficult enogh having to cope with your mum being poorly without the extra burden of debt chasing from the home. Again I can only recommend the Residents and Relatives Assoc - I've put a number of my clients families on to them and they have been of some help. They also gather information such as this to help the lobbyists I beleive - if we all just stay silent and pay up, how are we ever really going to get a grip on the true cost of care for the elderly!0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards