Question re house (& car) in BR

Options
Hello all

First off I want to say I'm getting so much info from this site it's untrue, feeling more and more empowered by the day!

My question is that I have now decided to go BR and am busy sorting stuff out and getting more info. As I've said on previous post, I would like to keep my home as am 7 mths pregnant and it would be so much easier to stay in it.

I have just got my flat valued and the Estate Agent has valued it at £155-160k. I owe the bank £157k. Would I be forced to sell my home for £3k equity? I'm guessing no because they probably wouldn't sell it in a way that would achieve full value, but would just like other's opinions on this.

Also, my car is worth around £1500 but I use it for work, would I be forced to sell this too? I don't actually have assets as such so would this make a difference on a £130k+ debt?

I know no-one knows for sure but just wanted to hear thoughts from people that know more about this than me. :confused:

Thank you

Comments

• CCCS_Matthew
    CCCS_Matthew Posts: 922 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there.

As far as your house is concerned, effectively there is no equity in the flat as once sold and legal fees etc have been taken there isn't going to be anything left. With that in mind, there is a good chance you can stay in the property if you were to go bankrupt. The one thing to take in to consideration is the amount you pay on the mortgage in comparison to renting as the OR may look at asking you to pay into an IPA if the difference between the two are substantial.

As for the car, it's going to be down to the OR to make a decision. All vehicles can be taken into consideration, so it's important you make it clear that the car is essential rather than a luxery, and that it justfies the running costs.

In some cases you might be asked to sell the car but are given a small amount back for a run around to get you from A to B, with the remainder paid to the creditors. It is down to the OR though, and I have come across cases where someone with a car worth £1500 has been allowed to keep it.

Hope this helps,
    Matthew.
    I am a Debt Counsellor that works for the CCCS and have specific permission from Martin, to post on these boards to try and help those in debt. Read more information on the CCCS and what it does in the Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help article.

CCCS is a registered charity, and there is no charge whatsoever for any of the services we provide to our clients. We take great pride in offering first class help and advice, but we only offer this where we have been able to fully explore and understand your circumstances with you. We want to help you understand these choices and their possible implications but not make them for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure