We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Third week without living on credit
john_kent
Posts: 425 Forumite
Hi All
Into my third week with no credit.
Kind of strange looking at my current account balance and seeing a plus figure. Still getting grieve from some creditors , but some are ok and others dont bother replying to letters.
My short term contract ends Friday , but have an interview next week for a job paying £4 PH more for three months maybe up to six. Got an extra few hours at my part time job and also looks like I have a third job lined up
Life without credit is getting easier. Little things make the difference. I send a lot of mail (timesheets etc) and now use 2nd class stamps. A new thing for me. Hunt in the supermarket for best prices aswell now.
Also only shop when I have eaten. Does work you know.
A friend of a friends mum called for me to fix his PC. Told him I charged. he said that his mate said that I did it free. Now I say pay me or go elsewhere. Got a few extra quid this week through this policy. If I am helping people for free , i cant earn
But my biggest tip is this.
KEEP BUSY WHEN THE TEMPTAION IS THERE.
Its kind of strange having no cash , but in reality , becasue I am now sorting things , I have more money in my bank.
I am going to pay any excess money into a savings account my mum has for me so it is hard to get at the cash. I doplan to make some extra payments to creditors , but am waiting for some clarification on things.
Into my third week with no credit.
Kind of strange looking at my current account balance and seeing a plus figure. Still getting grieve from some creditors , but some are ok and others dont bother replying to letters.
My short term contract ends Friday , but have an interview next week for a job paying £4 PH more for three months maybe up to six. Got an extra few hours at my part time job and also looks like I have a third job lined up
Life without credit is getting easier. Little things make the difference. I send a lot of mail (timesheets etc) and now use 2nd class stamps. A new thing for me. Hunt in the supermarket for best prices aswell now.
Also only shop when I have eaten. Does work you know.
A friend of a friends mum called for me to fix his PC. Told him I charged. he said that his mate said that I did it free. Now I say pay me or go elsewhere. Got a few extra quid this week through this policy. If I am helping people for free , i cant earn
But my biggest tip is this.
KEEP BUSY WHEN THE TEMPTAION IS THERE.
Its kind of strange having no cash , but in reality , becasue I am now sorting things , I have more money in my bank.
I am going to pay any excess money into a savings account my mum has for me so it is hard to get at the cash. I doplan to make some extra payments to creditors , but am waiting for some clarification on things.
0
Comments
-
Well done John your doing superb! :T
It's not easy to not use credit when you have been doing it for so long so give yourself a big pat on the back mate and have one on me! :beer:
0 -
Well done, I have not used a cc for purchaces since June 2004. Takes the impulse temptation away.Don't waste your words I don't need,
Anything from you.
I don't care where you've been or,
What you plan to do.0 -
Hey John
Well done, you are doing brilliantly! :T
Good luck with the job next week, hope it all works out.Leason learnt :beer:0 -
Well done! The best thing that ever happened to me was 14th Feb 06, no not coz I got a romantic present from my beloved (i wish!) Purely for the fact that I tore up all my PIN numbers straight away so couldnt use my devil cards even if I wanted to!
Keep up the good work!0 -
well done john sounds like you are doing fantastic. fingers crossd for you regards job.
once youve been living with no credit for a few weeks, do you find your cash snowballs, ie you have more left in your pocket at the end of the week? do you draw your cash out in one go once a week and that has to last you?
i am seriously thinking of starting this concept, although i do draw cash out to live on every week, i use my card for online shopping which stops any extra trips to tesco etc, but i use a specific card for this and pay it off in full every month.November NSD's - 70 -
I use my Swicth card to make purchases. Previousley , I fI bought a few things for say £8 I would use a tenner. now I put it on switch. ALso use all my tips from my part time job for little things like stamps , loaf of bread , milk etc............
I do have £60 left from last week , with no bills to pay this week , just fuel , by 24th , I will have 4- 500 in the bank. I completely untought of figure as previouse to writing to creditors , every week I had a couple of bills to pay. Kind of strange having more money left then I thought I would.
Need ot get a tyre for car and will be great shopping round rathe rthen being broke and using my Kwik Fit Store Card.0 -
Hi John!:) You're doing great! keep up the good work! its nice to have some cash in the bank for a change isn't it!Do what you love :happyhear0
-
well done ive been living with out credit for 2 years i love my bank statements always in credit, i pay my debts should all be gone in 24 months ,got my first grand in my credit union im enjoying life and would suggest all debt free wanabees keep it up get down those debts save save and get your lifes back0
-
hi ya
and well done its hard at first to live without your credit cards,we have not used any since june 2005 and now we are bankrupt we wont ever be able to do it again!!At first you will be tempted thats only normal but you will soon see that you have money in the bank at the end of the month we only went overdrawn once while saving up to go bankrupt and that was for £14!
Now i question everything before i buy it i use to spend loads on mags and anything without thinking Now i check prices all the time my kids last pair of trainers cost us £7.50 and they seem to last better than his nike ones!!
Good luck to you You will enjoy only spending your money and you will make sure you get value for money!!!!0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards