We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Settled account expires in August 2006

Hi, I have a settled account from Wescot Credit Services Which expires in August 2006. August 2006 is the date I settled the account not the date in which it was defaulted. Is this right ?

Also, Experian have removed it from their records but equifax still have it on theirs, does anyone know if I could get it removed before August ??? Thanks
Nice to save.

Comments

  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Defaults are kept on your credit report for six years from the default date not the settlement date. Only non-defaulted accounts are kept for six years from the settlement date. As far as I'm aware, the three CRAs all operate in the same way re retaining accounts, so I'm puzzled as to why your reports should differ.
    “Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

    Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
  • Harassed_2
    Harassed_2 Posts: 308 Forumite
    A default can only be legally issued ONCE on the same debt. It has a 'life-span' of six years and must come off the credit reference agencies files after this time - this is the law under the Consumer Credit Act. However, if they DO re-issue the default, it is NOT consumer credit law being broken, it comes under the Data Protection Act.

    Take up your case with the Information Commissioner.

    http://www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/
  • browney_2
    browney_2 Posts: 37 Forumite
    I got my credit rating yesterday and it counts as a good point having a settled account on my previous address. It doesn't say the account was opened as a result of a default on an other account ?
    Nice to save.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.