We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

£5 weekend challenge

I'm setting myself a challenge of doing gourmet food for me and partner for a whole weekend with only the £5 morrisons voucher I got free with petrol.

Any ideas that don't mean being chained to the kitchen all weekend??
Debt free 4th April 2007.
New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.

Comments

  • climbgirl
    climbgirl Posts: 1,504 Forumite
    Do value beans count as gourmet?!

    I'd head over to the Old Style board - they have loads of great cheap recipes and meal ideas.
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,935 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Stick to own brand stuff as much as possible and try not to buy any pre prepared food like stuff thats ready washed or peeled.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • themaccas
    themaccas Posts: 1,453 Forumite
    Well I'm just cooking a fish pie from a free recipie card I picked up from sainsburys, I reckon it has cost around £3-4 but that will last for 2 nights, I think it will be a tall order doing gourmet but what is your definition of gourmet? As l;ong as it tastes good and is creative that should be enough! Why not try to prepare brand new dishes for a fiver - foods that you have always wanted to try but never have (caviat excluded!)
    Debtfree JUNE 2008 - Thank you MSE:T
  • Batgirl
    Batgirl Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Fab thread i can't wait to find out what you do with it. I'm saving my vouchers from petrol for xmas, but may well try this challenge after you with some good hard cash :eek:
    May 2015 £10 a day currently £208
  • scotgirl
    scotgirl Posts: 805 Forumite
    What about a roast chicken and then the left overs in a curry the next night? Definately head over to the old style board - so many fab recipes there!
    The Best Things in Life Are Free
  • nabowla
    nabowla Posts: 567 Forumite
    Breakfast: pancakes with sugar and lemon. You'll probably have most of the ingredients in the cupboard/fridge already (flour, milk, sugar, eggs, lemon). Doesn't take long to prepare and is great fun to cook!
    Lunch: home-made vegetable soup with fresh bread. Pick up the vegetables and bread cheap on Friday night when they're heavily discounted. Soup is quick to throw together and can be made in advance.
    Dinner: not sure about main course, but how about home made pavlova for pudding? You only need a couple of egg whites, a bit of sugar, some whipping cream and a bit of fruit (tinned peaches work well if you can't afford fresh fruit).
  • redgemini
    redgemini Posts: 34 Forumite
    I have a nice recipe for really quick & easy stuffed chicken breasts - I've used this loads!

    Value Chicken Breast (1 per person)
    An Orange
    A couple of pieces of Bacon
    Some Butter

    'butterfly' the chicken breast (i.e. make a cut in it horizontally - but not all the way through)
    Cut Orange in Half - juice one half & segment the other
    Mix the orange juice & butter together (you can add some fried herbs if you feel adventurous)
    Spread chicken breasts with orange butter
    Lay orange segments on buttered chicken
    Roll back into shape & wrap with bacon
    Grill for about 12-15 mins till the juice runs clear from Chicken & the bacon is nice & crispy

    Serve with Veg & layered potatos (v cheap & filling)
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I like the tip about shopping on a Friday night for reductions.. will try that on my way home.

    Will have to substitute tofu for turkey I think (veggie), but curry sounds easy enough.. and pancakes.. yum.

    It took me abut a year to get a voucher, but I do go between morrisons and sainsburys so must have nectar points due too... maybe the weekend after. Nectar points seem to rack up quicker, I've never been able to work out how the morrisons scheme goes.
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    scotgirl wrote:
    What about a roast chicken and then the left overs in a curry the next night? Definately head over to the old style board - so many fab recipes there!

    I can get ten meals out of one roast chicken!!!

    Risottos, stir fries, soup from the carcass, there's so much you can do with it!

    Old Style is defo the place to go and find out some fab recipes.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • kazmac_3
    kazmac_3 Posts: 177 Forumite
    Great Thread!!!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.