Overpaying Mortgage ...

Hi there,

We have just managed to reduce our £107K IO mortgage to £70K by paying off the difference using some redundancy money. The next stage is to overpay but I'm a bit confused - is it best to overpay on a monthly basis or save up to pay off a lump sum annually? :confused:

Our mortgage allows unlimited overpayments and the interest rate is 3.49%

Any suggestions welcome :j

Replies

• PeelerfartPeelerfart Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you can get a better savings rate then 3.49% then save it there and pay it off as a lump sum. It's also available if you need it in the interim for something else.
    Space available for rent
  • johng_ukjohng_uk Forumite
    2K Posts
    I think that the best paying ISA around atm is Barclay's (3.61%) and you can find 'bonds' paying upto 4.3% (with tie-ins for the cash etc).

If it was me, I would overpay as much of my mortgage as I could at this moment in time. This would reduce how much you owe, and future-proof you for when interest rates eventually rise again and you look to re-mortgage.

Also as peeler says, if you needed access to the cash it's there. Always a good thing in todays economic climate.
    John :beer:

Life's too short.........
  • Ali660Ali660 Forumite
    180 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'm convinced it's the right thing to do at the mo. We've got ISAs in place and a little put by in savings accounts so the mortgage is going to get it next!

Ali x
    2K Posts
    Ali660 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'm convinced it's the right thing to do at the mo. We've got ISAs in place and a little put by in savings accounts so the mortgage is going to get it next!

Ali x

:p

You know it makes sense!

• PeelerfartPeelerfart Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    johng_uk wrote: »

You know it makes sense!

He's right you know
    Space available for rent
  • Lynn11Lynn11 Forumite
    674 Posts
    I manage to save about £400 per month in different savings accounts as well as paying an extra £200-£250 per month overpayment to the mortgage, so that we have money there if hubbie jobs goes and we can survive for at least 8-9mths but I am also happy to know that I am also paying off some of the mortgage every month. Good luck on your MFW journey.
    MFIT T2 Challenge - No 46
    Overpayments 2006-2009 = £11985; 2010 = £6170, 2011 = £5570, 2012 = £1290
    2K Posts
    Peelerfart wrote: »
    He's right you know

Why thank you - Don't hear that often enough!!

• dimbo61dimbo61 Forumite
    12.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could also put £250 a month ( up to ! ) into a Barclays 6% regular saver for the next 12 months and use that plus the interest to pay a lump sum off the mortgage.
    Better still if you are a non tax payer
    HSBC have a 8% RS but you need to bank with them.
    GOOD LUCK
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides