Mortgage Overpayment - How To?

So sorry for such a silly/basic question. I have a C&G mortgage which is paid by standing order from my Halifax current acct. How would I go about making an overpayment? Do I need to contact C&G? Send them a cheque? Or use online banking to bung money into the mortgage like I would BACS a payment to mate's bank acct to pay the deposit on a holiday/whatever...?

I don't have much spare cash and I pay ~ £800 a month on my repayment mortgage but £50 a month would be do-able and every little bit has to help I suppose.
Trying hard to be a good moneysaver.

Comments

• SammyD_2
    SammyD_2 Posts: 448 Forumite
    First, make sure there are no penalties for overpaying.
    Then you usually have a number of options. I just increased my standing order, and then if I have anything extra I go into the branch with a cheque. But I can also use BACs, just haven't got round to setting it up.
  • Daniel_B
    Daniel_B Posts: 334 Forumite
    Yes as above really.

I use FD internet banking, but primarily have upped my SO for the monthly pament - I just alter it online or call them up.

If I want to make any extra paymetns I can just make an online transfer and it appears immediately :-)

As mentioned, CHECK for any penalities.

Dan
  • gundo
    gundo Posts: 249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Cool! So basically it's just another bank acct that I can send payments to (I use Halifax Online and they have a bill payments facility so you can make one off or whenever you like variable payments to an accounts, it works on the cashpoints as well).

AFAIR my C&G mortgage allows up to 10% a year without penalty and you can either lump sum it or up the SO.

Thanks for the advice. I'm keen to try and do something as I got my statement for the first year of my 133k mortgage and I still owe them over 131k... :( I guess that the interest payments
    Trying hard to be a good moneysaver.
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've just done this very thing about an hour ago lol.

Phoned A&L to get account details and sort code to make sure I was sending to the right place and then set it up with the Halifax bill payments section as you already mentioned. :)

Also check that there is no particular time for overpayments being accepted? I remember hearing there was an A&L mortgage for example which you could only overpay once a year (in January I think it was???)

Mine is a Martini one......any time, anywhere. :)

(Or was that Babysham?????:confused: )
    Herman - MP for all! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family