We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Advice about a payment protection

Hi
We have a loan with the AA which finishes in Sept 08.I have finally(after weeks of searching!!) found the agreement and note that we have AA Creditcare added on at £576.00.Is this the payment protection? and if so can I cancel it now? The loan has been running for 2 years in August and is for 4 years in total.
Once I have paid off my CC and catalogue I will be in a position to throw more cash at this loan each month.
Thanks for any advice
xx
Sealed pot challenge 7...my number is 2144.....started Nov 29th ....

Comments

  • forsya
    forsya Posts: 251 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Hi Gilly41

    Does sound like it could be payment protection, if so call them and cancel it now!!! You should be able to cancel when you like.

    Give them a call and ask exactly what is what.

    Money would be better used to pay off debt.

    xx
    Became debt free in 2007 after having £15k of debt. Have been a stranger to MSE and now want to get back into my old MSE habits and save, save, save
  • gilly41
    gilly41 Posts: 909 Forumite
    Thanks.
    I have just found the booklet and it is payment protection(which we dont need as hubby is covered at work if off sick etc and we have a separate life cover!).Can I cancel mid way through a loan?
    I cant find anything in the booklet about cancelling it!
    xx
    Sealed pot challenge 7...my number is 2144.....started Nov 29th ....
  • skint_manc
    skint_manc Posts: 344 Forumite
    Have a look at this thread for more info..

    going to tackle cancelling mine tomorrow!.. Good luck

    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=117175
  • gilly41
    gilly41 Posts: 909 Forumite
    Hi
    Thanks for the help.
    I have rung them today and they said that if i write in i will be entitled to a part refund which will bring our loan repayment down by about £6 per month. The lady said it is hardly worth it(ummmmm right!!!) but I said we are very short of cash and it will be well worth it to us!!!
    I then went to the sample letter and I have actually asked for a full refund as i feel we were mis sold the premium. We were told we couldnt have the loan if we didnt agree to take out the PPI.This i now know is completely wrong!!
    Do you think i should just be happy with the part refund which she said we will probably get?I hope I havent been too greedy asking for the full amount!!
    xx
    Sealed pot challenge 7...my number is 2144.....started Nov 29th ....
  • if its a personal loan with lloyds tsb you only have 30 days from taking loan to cancel the protection
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.