We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Help Please

I currently am £23965.92 in debt:

Egg £6213.15 (15.9 APR)
Cahoot £9935.34 (11.5)
Overdraft £3785.34 (17.1)
Business overdraft £4032.09 (17.1)


I have no idea how I can start to reduce these debts as I currently pay £3467.2355 a year in interest even before I start to make any difference on the actual payments. I am not very good at doing the maths ( a friend help me put these figures together on a spreadsheet) and can read all the different offers available until I'm blue in the face but still don'tknow how to move forward. I also pay heftly bank chareges each month and don't know if I should take out another loan to consolidate the above or what. Any advice much appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

  • Quasar
    Quasar Posts: 121,720 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Your situation, happily, is nowhere near as bad as some of our other members here. However it is obviously a problem that you need to address, so well done for posting here. You have taken an important step towards being debt free.

    What you need to do now is to post a detailed list of your outgoings: mortgage/rent, which bill and how much each, food, clothing, everything you spend. Don't forget subscriptions if any, internet accounts etc.

    The someone in the know will come along and identify ways for you to save here to pay there.

    Welcome and good luck, RinTin!
    Be careful who you open up to. Today it's ears, tomorrow it's mouth.
  • isasmurf
    isasmurf Posts: 1,998 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    RinTin, Welcome to MSE.

    I'm moving this to the Debts board where you will get more help.
  • forsya
    forsya Posts: 251 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Hi Rintin

    Welcome to MSE, well you have already made a start to reducing your debts by coming on this website! There is lots of advice and support to help you.

    It would be helpful if you would post your SOA (Statement of affairs) list your monthly outgoings and your income. We can then look at ways to cut down and perhaps pay off more towards your debt.

    Do you know what your credit rating is like? Would you be able to get a 0% credit card (presume the Egg is a credit card?)

    Make sure you have a budget in place, there is help on this website to put one together.

    This link is good for working out the total cost (you said you weren't very good at maths!!)

    http://www.whatsthecost.com/snowball.aspx

    All the best to you Rintin, we are here to help.

    xx
    Became debt free in 2007 after having £15k of debt. Have been a stranger to MSE and now want to get back into my old MSE habits and save, save, save
  • Hi RinTin,

    Are your personal finances and business accounts kept separate?

    Do you use an accountant for the business side of things e.g. to balance the books and for other things such as to calculate out how much tax you owe the Inland Revenue?
  • Yes, I try to keep them separate and transfer money between the two accounts to cover personal spending but I'm always playing catch up.

    I have recently taken on an accountant who did have quite a lot of work to do to get me up to date - now I have to pay £1000 to him as well on top of the existing debt. The problem as with all businesess is cash flow and I am struggling with this at the moment.
  • Thanks for that - I'll get started and come back to you.
  • amosworks
    amosworks Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    I replied to this post but my reply has dissapeared??

    *Confused and worried*
  • Hi Rintin,

    Just to repeat what's been already said, you've come to the right place. Once you can get your SoA posted there will be a whole load of people that can help and advise you.

    Good luck :)
    Why is there always so much month left at the end of my money? :doh:
  • tyllwyd
    tyllwyd Posts: 5,496 Forumite
    amosworks wrote:
    I replied to this post but my reply has dissapeared??

    *Confused and worried*

    Don't panic - there are two almost identical threads and I think your reply is on the other one

    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=165300
  • amosworks
    amosworks Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    tyllwyd wrote:
    Don't panic - there are two almost identical threads and I think your reply is on the other one

    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=165300


    Hehe no I noticed that, I replied to both :)
    Maybe all I'm missing is a few multicoloured snails to solve this riddle if you get what I mean lol
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.