Career Change Help - Accounting to IT

Options
Hi,

Basically I have been working in accounts since I left school (25 now) and I am AAT qualified. Its come to studying further to which I have started asking myself 'is this what I want?' I can do my job and wouldn't say I don't like working in accounts.

I am looking for a more IT driven career, as it is I have built several machines in my time and also fixed many machines with various hardware/software problems. I always keep up to date on IT news in software and hardware. It actually hit me when my better half said why do you keep working in accounts when you actually enjoy IT?

The problem is how to bridge the gap, I am experienced in many respects but the only IT qualification I have is a GCSE. I know that I could perform well in a trainee role but how do I get my foot in the door? Basically I do know what I am talking about but don't have any qualifications to prove it.

After searching all I can find is companies trying to sell me training courses, which is all very well.

This something I want to do. Is there any chance of me getting a low paid trainee job? I know my existing knowledge will give me the perfect platform to work on. Should I start studying? If so what should I go for? I really want to fast track this and dare I say I could probably get some lower qualifications very quickly from existing knowledge.

Basically I am still young(ish) and enthusiastic and know this is what I want to do. I just need guidance from hopefully someone in the industry.
Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
Started third business 25/06/2016
Son born 13/09/2015
Started a second business 03/08/2013
Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012

Comments

• MickW_3
    MickW_3 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Percy,

in terms of certifications that will give you a head start you could look at doing the following:

Comptia A+ (PC Hardware)
    Comptia Network + (Networking)

Once you've got past the entry level you can then start to look at developing your expertise in Microsoft's products as it is the most common to be found in most businesses/homes.

You can study for the Microsoft MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) exams at you own pace at home. I'd start with the Windows XP/Vista exam and then look at getting the MCDST (Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician) cert next.

Now if you've seen any of the ads from training companies they always give you grossly exaggerated salary expectations, few people ever get to earn those kind of salaries!

As for getting a trainee position the employment market for IT people is pretty dire, I lost my job (Systems Administrator) back in October and I was out of work for nearly 6 months, right now I'm on a 3 month contract doing PC repairs, it's better than siting at home on Jobseekers feeling miserable!

If you've still got a job in accounting then I stick with it and study in your own time and once the market recovers look at your options, you could look at doing PC repairs as a side gig.

Hope this post helps you out on your way!

Cheers,

MickW CCNA MCP MCSE
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    QA type rolls are usefull to get a foot in the door, no one wants the test jobs.

A lot of people shun this area so competition for the jobs is lower.

There may be jobs in software test that a accounting background is an advantage, not my area so not sure what there is.

It looks like your current IT skill are mostly PC hardware/software and a lot of people do this so money will not be that good I expect.
  • ArsenalFC
    ArsenalFC Posts: 1,095 Forumite
    Options
    Forget about looking for a career in IT, it's dire with low pay and high level qualification and experience required. You constantly have to update your skills and probably low rewards for someone who is starting out now. I was a pc technician previously and got out of the area quite a few years ago as it wasn't worth my efforts.

Like mike said study in your own time if you wish but it's long and in my opinion not rewarding for such efforts, it use to be ok.
  • samr_2
    samr_2 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    Could you look at application support for accounting software?
    If your company uses accounting software, do they have a support contract? If so, maybe that's a place to start.
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the input, I am aware that you get these IT training adverts give unrealistic salary expectations.

The other side of this is my job is currently at risk and if I lose it I will probably have a to take a large paycut to get another job, so was thinking a may aswell think about this.

My current experience is mostly hardware/software but I do wish to build on this, right now networking and servers are past me in many respects so need to work on that.

I know that salary wise I could potentially earn more in accounting, but right now I am worth around £18k so I don't have much to lose. I really am looking for something I enjoy rather than chasing the money. Dare I say once I get to 20-25k I will be happy.

I hear what people say about having to constantly update there skills, strangely that is one thing which attracts me to it. I have found my brain is stagnating in accounts.

These companies you see on the TV (computeach etc I think) Are they worth phoning up or will they just try and sell me useless courses at over the top prices.

As for PC repair at home, I am already doing that as such but its small with family/friends. Now I know the financial side as in tax returns etc but past that could I start advertising/trading despite having no qualifications? on a small local scale. I hear so many stories if cowboys who just re-install windows and send it back and charge a small fortune for it. Personally I start with a backup and stability tests to rule out hardware. I Fixed one PC for a friend of a friend as such who had it 'fixed' before. I actually found that the ram was dying and charged less to fix (and upgrade the ram) than the last bloke did just to reinstall windows.
    Son born 13/09/2015
  • jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446 Forumite
    Options
    Some of the smaller companies combine Head of Accounts roles with managing the IT function - would that be of interest?

If you are bored with AAT you will find ACCA/CIMA more challenging, especially if you can rush through the intermediate level and get onto the final/strategic levels. I'm an accountant too and nuts and bolts accounting bores me to tears and I'm not much good at it which is why I avoid any sort of financial reporting :D . Where I do enjoy my job is building models, analysing performance and working with other departments to improve performance.

I have also seen lots of jobs for accountants working with systems - generally where companies have big complicated systems that need a lot of reporting/data validation requirements/project implementations. A system accountant role is very involved with IT operations and good systems accountants can earn a lot of money and have quite a high powered job. You would have to take further accounting qualifications though to make the most of it. These jobs dont sit and produce month end accounts, they get involved in making sure systems work and are producing the right information. If you get really into it there are plenty of options for things like consulting for big software apps like Cognos/SAP/Hyperion etc.

I may be biased but I dont think you should give up what you have achieved so far to chase a job on a helpdesk when there are so many things that you could do within your current field with a bit of jiggery pokery.
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
  • Percy1983
    Options
    I do hear what you say with that, the problem is accounts don't change and essentially haven't changed since book keeping first started, yes systems have changed with computers etc but the bit behind it is still the same. I could start studying CIMA and get a new challenge etc but all it will do is prolong the effect and keep me entertained for a bit longer and then I will end up back here. Yes it seems odd to get this far and take a step down, but it will be more of a waste to go further to then step down.

It may be worth me combining the 2 at some point by working in installation/support of accounting system as I must admit I didn't think of that.

Basically IT is a lot faster moving which I personally want, I am not chasing high powered jobs, I am chasing jobs which pay resonable salarys and I will be happy in. Ideally I would be better suited to small company really with a small IT team.

I have looked into Comptia A+, that does look ideal in many respects. After looking at what it involves there is a lot I know already, but there is still things I will need to learn so it should tie everything I already know together and give me a cerificate to say I can do it. Has anybody got any advies on the best way of going about it? Could I buy a few books and book an exam when I am ready? as an example or am I underestimating it?
    Son born 13/09/2015
  • posted_2
    posted_2 Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    Qualifications don't equal skills, I would try and find a junior role somewhere, possibly in the public sector or large corporate, and work your way up the ladder, get them to pay for training. It's going to be difficult in a recession. Sage support may be a way in.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 April 2009 at 11:11AM
    Options
    The thing with the microsoft courses would employers offer me a job if i had completed one of the courses or would experience be neccessary as well, ive seen jobs advertised that mention about microsoft qualifications but its just havig the money to do of the courses, knowing my luck id do one of the courses but then get told we cant off you a job as you dont have experience
  • Percy1983
    Options
    I will be keeping an eye out for junior/trainee roles, it does make sense for me to start studying myself. It seems that Comptia A+ won't cost me much and it shows I am committed to the idea. But as mentioned I need to get experience where possible. Basically I want to show I have a good level of competency to help me get into such a role.
    Son born 13/09/2015
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income