We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Update on my son at Uni thread!!
gilly41
Posts: 909 Forumite
Hi
I just wanted to say that I am sooo glad that I took everyones advice and didnt give my son the £20 he "needed" for food shopping.
He has been working this weekend in his new job at the local Golf Club just up the road from his digs at Uni.He was meant to work each evening til 11 but got the chance to stop on til 2am both days as there were functions on!! He has made £80 this weekend!!! I can honestly say that if I had just given in and said ok I will put the cash in your bank that he would probably have turned down the extra 3 hours each night!!!! I know just how lazy he can be!!!
Thanks again everyone
xx
I just wanted to say that I am sooo glad that I took everyones advice and didnt give my son the £20 he "needed" for food shopping.
He has been working this weekend in his new job at the local Golf Club just up the road from his digs at Uni.He was meant to work each evening til 11 but got the chance to stop on til 2am both days as there were functions on!! He has made £80 this weekend!!! I can honestly say that if I had just given in and said ok I will put the cash in your bank that he would probably have turned down the extra 3 hours each night!!!! I know just how lazy he can be!!!
Thanks again everyone
xx
Sealed pot challenge 7...my number is 2144.....started Nov 29th ....
0
Comments
-
See - you ARE the best mum in the world!!! Well done, honey.:cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool::heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
0 -
As a mother, I know it's the hardest thing in the world to say no to your children! But, its most of the time, its for the best!
I had a friend, whose mother was mega strict with cash in her teenage, and young adult life. When her cash was gone, it was gone. If she went hungry, she went hungry, if she had to walk to work, she walked to work. She is now my only friend without debts, and seems somewhat content with her lot.
So although it seems tough, see it through, you are doing your son a big favour! I also liked someone elses post about the large bag of value pasta and tinned tomatoes. If you really cant see him starve, I think its a great idea to deliver the most basic food you can!0 -
well done gilly41!
I'm not a mum, and can imagine it must be very hard for you to say no. But it's not that long since i was a student.
Yes, it can be difficult when everyone else is out spending and drinking. I went to quite a posh uni full of shockingly rich people, and I can remember almost fainting with shock when one of my friends phoned her dad from a clothes shop to get him to transfer money into her account because her card had just bounced when she tried to buy a new pair of jeans. And her dad did it!
And yes it can be difficult taking yourself off to work two or three nights a week when everyone else is having fun. I didn't want to work, but I did. And i'm really glad i did, because although i'm still paying off my student debts, they could be so much worse if it weren't for that £40 a week i earned.
University is about lots of things: getting your degree, having a good time... but also about learning about life. And managing your money is, as we all know, a massive part of that. You have to learn to live within your means, and to make priorities over what you can and cannot afford, eg expensive trips to see your girlfriend. It's all part of university, and part of growing up, and you should view it as a crucial lesson: it's one he'll benefit from in years to come.
Dec 2005 £8,500
April 2007 £0
Paid Off Since Lightbulb Moment £8,500
Debt Free Date: APRIL 16 2007
:j :j :j :j :j :j :j :j0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards