Lost P60, Tax Return

Options
Duk
Duk Posts: 117 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi All

For the year 2005 - 2006 I paid £500 (roughly, £490ish i think) more tax than i was supposed to due to emergency tax on my first full time employment. It showed this on my P60 for that year which I have unfortunatly lost.

The inland revenue said they would be unable to calculate how much i was owed without that P60. Is this true? surely they can see how much i paid them and how much i earned. Is there anyway i can get another copy?

Thanks for any help.

Dan

Comments

• Ballymackeonan
    Options
    You could ask your employer's payroll department to give you the figures again, but they can't reprint the P60 (it's actually a criminal offence to reprint one!)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your employer cannot issue another P60 but they can give you a statement of earnings which is basically a printout of their payroll data. HMRC will accept that as proof of your income.
  • Duk
    Options
    I should also state it was a different employer to the one i am at now. Could they still give me the figures if i send them a letter or call them?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes they can.

One thing though. Normally if the figures don't balance at the end of the tax year your name goes on to a list to be manually assessed.

The fact that you haven't already received a refund for 05/06 would lead me to guess that there might be gaps in the employment history HMRC have. So when you send in your statement of earnings make sure you send them your employment/unemployment history in chronological order, including start and end dates, from 6th April 2005.
  • Duk
    Options
    Hi Pam

You are correct, They have contacted me with a form but i also need to send the P60. They want to know what i was doing the weekend after i left my job to start my new one on the monday :P
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    Emloyers are actually now allowed to issue one duplicate P60 - but letter on the company's headed paper will do.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport