Does the tax man repay or do you have to ask??

Options
allan2006
allan2006 Posts: 264 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 25 April 2009 at 11:43PM in Cutting tax
Between 2007-2008 I paid too much income tax. This was because i had temporary jobs that hept changing, According to online calculators i paid about £500 too much tax. via PAYE system.

My question is does the taxman ever check their records and do a refund automatically or do you have to write and ask for a refund. Just they have had it a year now, and now i`m wondering if maybe HMRC dont volunteer to give tax back :/

Anyone else here had a similaur thing happen to them, how long does it take for them to do a refund or did you ask for it back??

Comments

• LilacPixie
    LilacPixie Posts: 8,052 Forumite
    Options
    I have had a refund before without asking but if I was you i would write them a letter asking for it back. My husband asked for a refund in december and it took around 6 weeks.
    MF aim 10th December 2020 :j:eek:
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000 :D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    HMRC will refund your tax when they get to your name which will be one among thousands on their worklists. That can take ages because there are so many.

If you want you can contact them yourself and ask them to assess the year. You will need to send them your employment/unemployment history from 6th April 2007 onwards including start and end dates. You will also need to send all your P45's and P60's for the period you want assessed.

The fact that you had temp jobs that kept changing means that it is highly likely that HMRC are not aware of all your employment. This is because by the time they transfered your record from one tax office to another, according to your employer at that time, you may have moved on. HMRC would effectively been playing catch-up.

If your temp jobs were through one agency though then the agency was your employer and not the companies they put you in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure