PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

£20 a week OS challenge- you'll be seeing more of me I think!!

Comments

• mh1923
    mh1923 Posts: 525 Forumite
    marilyn52 wrote:
    Hi

You mention taking tin soup for lunches. You can save an awful lot of money making soup and of course it's much nicer and yo had add bits to make more of a meal out of it! Good luck

My Mum keeps a plastic container in the freezer and whenever she has leftover veggies, she adds them to the container. When it's full, she makes a HUGE pot of soup. It never tastes the same twice, and is always wonderful.

(I'd do it too, but I never have leftovers... :rolleyes: )

My own cheap trick is to eat popcorn instead of crisps when I want a snack. Although I make mine on the stove with popping corn. The microwave stuff might not save any money.

-Michelle
    Hi, I'm Mich :o
    I won a years supply of Comfort fabric softener in November 2013 - more than half remains...
    2015 survey proceeds £115.36
  • I have only just started looking around etc on this site and am looking to seriously save money!!
    Here are a few tips!!!
    * Buy vegemince - its cheaper than mince and you take out of the freezer what you need rather then buy fresh mince and have use it up.
    * Find your nearest cash and carry and get a memebership card- I have a tradex card and can get a box of ariel powder for 180 washes for about £13!!! BARGAIN!!!! They sell everything in them!
    * Turn off radiators in rooms you don't use - I did and it has saved me quite a bit
    * Try eating pitta breads and tortilla wraps instead of sandwiches - far more filling so you don't need so much pack up and mega healthy too
    * I have a tumble dryer and used to use it willy nilly - now I put clothes on airer in dining room - you have the heating on this time of year so use it to your advantage!!!

Couldn't think of many but hope these help!
  • woozywendy
    woozywendy Posts: 346 Forumite
    Hi to everyone. Have just joined today but have been looking at site for about a month now. Would just like to say thanks for all the tips that I have picked up in reading this chat site. Hope I can provide some myself.
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Welcome Gwatigger and Woozywendy :hello:

I've been a member for a year and lurked for a couple of months before that. It has completely changed our lives. I find something new on here everyday. I've saved a fortune over this last year because of the tips on here.
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Just to update, as we ran out of veg yesterday, I went and did the weekly shop today.

Instead of going to Mrs T's and shuffling around I did a combo of Morrssons, Poundland, Wilkos and Farmfoods. Spent 23 again ( there was plenty of meat in the reduced cabinet, all frozen now) Hands are red raw from carrying so much, but there is no question we have enough for all the week, except maybe some top up veg later in the week. There was some cracking bargains about today I couldnt resist like Cadbury Crunchie ice cream in Farmfoods for 60p! I couldnt leave that where it was lol

Im definately going to make my own soups this week, starting with a solid favourite sweetcorn chowder which I'll make on Sunday and freeze in mini tupperwares to take to work.

Some fantastic ideas on here! thanks to all!!
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • lynzpower wrote:
    Just to update, as we ran out of veg yesterday, I went and did the weekly shop today.

Instead of going to Mrs T's and shuffling around I did a combo of Morrssons, Poundland, Wilkos and Farmfoods. Spent 23 again ( there was plenty of meat in the reduced cabinet, all frozen now) Hands are red raw from carrying so much, but there is no question we have enough for all the week, except maybe some top up veg later in the week. There was some cracking bargains about today I couldnt resist like Cadbury Crunchie ice cream in Farmfoods for 60p! I couldnt leave that where it was lol

Im definately going to make my own soups this week, starting with a solid favourite sweetcorn chowder which I'll make on Sunday and freeze in mini tupperwares to take to work.

Some fantastic ideas on here! thanks to all!!

Lynzpower... it is definitely important to have treats - after all, no man or woman can live on reduced groceries and homemade lunches alone! :wink:
  • metherer
    metherer Posts: 560 Forumite
    I think its a great idea to reduce your budget that way.
    I spent £70 on my tesco order last night, for the month, but i know full well that won't be enough o last all month. I have a bad habit of buying lunch at work when i can't be bothered making anything. :mad:

So, am going to buy some decent plastic tubs (mine are all either too big or tiny) and do a bulk cook this weekend i think. Thinking pasta with meatballs (they were on bogof).

Thanks for the inspiration.

Metherer

ps, I want the sweetcorn chowder recipe!
    Not heavily in debt, but still trying to sort things out.
    Baby due July 2018.
  • amanda40
    amanda40 Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    Sorry - what are stardrops for cleaning?
    No Longer addicted to Boots! - Well not today anyway!! :blushing:

Officially Mortgage free 31/07/2017 , 12 years early :j
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    amanda40 wrote:
    Sorry - what are stardrops for cleaning?

Stardrops is cleaner. I picked up some from morrisons today. It is a yellow colour and has a little yellow drop on the front.

It is suppose to be an all round cleaner it cost me 75p for a 600ml. On the label it says it is an all round cleaner.

It even says you can put it your laundry. Woolens and lingerie. Talks about hand washing but not sure if you can put it washing machine.

See here

There is also starclen with ammonia as well. See here

Hope that helps.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ridersbolt wrote:
    I use ecoballs instead of washing powder! They're minerals inside plastic balls which replace washing powder in the machine. Mine have lasted 4 years so far and are still going. They cost around £45 to buy (suggest use credit card to spread payment if you can't afford outright) £5 a year (so far) is pretty cheap. Centre for Alternative Technology (CAT) do them through their Buy Green By Mail service.
    Happy washing!

Are these ecoballs for washing the same things??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure